Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Increase Ingredients from Existing Stout to Get Imperial?  (Read 1415 times)

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Increase Ingredients from Existing Stout to Get Imperial?
« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2023, 06:00:14 pm »
I've had Old Rasputin on nitro, it was very smooth.

It's easy to simulate that with a syringe. It's what Guinness used to do before nitro cans.

I just tried that on a bottle of Guinness FES.  The results were glorious. Thanks for that suggestion, I had never heard of it before.  A tip to anyone who hasn’t tried it before:  leave ample head space in your glass before firing away!!   :o

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2023, 09:08:01 pm »
I just tried that on a bottle of Guinness FES.  The results were glorious. Thanks for that suggestion, I had never heard of it before.  A tip to anyone who hasn’t tried it before:  leave ample head space in your glass before firing away!!   :o

Denny will remember better than I probably, but this was a whole thing back in the late 90's and early 00's with folks on HBD and other places to carry a "pocket cask engine".

It can be absolutely eye opening.
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline Clint Yeastwood

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2023, 08:33:42 pm »
That syringe tip is pretty neat, although I have no idea how to do it.

If I do this, I'll just jack everything up in proportion. I think I'll use CO2 because the beer will be sweeter, and it will need some carbonic acid. Also, I only have one beer gas faucet.
Go ahead. Make my IPA.

Eccentricity is its own reward.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2023, 08:06:57 am »
That syringe tip is pretty neat, although I have no idea how to do it.

If I do this, I'll just jack everything up in proportion. I think I'll use CO2 because the beer will be sweeter, and it will need some carbonic acid. Also, I only have one beer gas faucet.

Suck some beer into the syringe and shoot it back into the glass.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2023, 08:54:44 am »
Or Jamil and John Palmer…but I agree there are many ways to do this, depending on the specific style involved.

If I hadn't tried the base malt only approach,  I might agree with them. But I didn't get the results I wanted or expected by doing that. It makes more sense to me to keep the relative % constant. I encourage people to try both ways themselves.

Kinda getting here late to this thread.  I agree with Denny here, keep the ratios of the base malt and specialty grains the same.  I also add my specialty grains into the mash tun at the same time as the base malt.  I seem to like the flavor I get by doing it this way.  One of the locals adds them after conversion is complete and vorlauf starts.  IMHO, the balance between all of the malts gets messed up by doing this.
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #35 on: October 29, 2023, 07:28:14 am »
Or Jamil and John Palmer…but I agree there are many ways to do this, depending on the specific style involved.

If I hadn't tried the base malt only approach,  I might agree with them. But I didn't get the results I wanted or expected by doing that. It makes more sense to me to keep the relative % constant. I encourage people to try both ways themselves.

Kinda getting here late to this thread.  I agree with Denny here, keep the ratios of the base malt and specialty grains the same.  I also add my specialty grains into the mash tun at the same time as the base malt.  I seem to like the flavor I get by doing it this way.  One of the locals adds them after conversion is complete and vorlauf starts.  IMHO, the balance between all of the malts gets messed up by doing this.
I've tried adding the specialty grains at the end of the mash, and not only was the flavor diminished, but the color was lighter than expected as well. To get the same flavor and color, you'd have to increase the amount of specialty grains you use, and then you'd lose a lot of the benefit of adding them late. At that point you end up coming full circle, so you might as well just add them into the mash in the first place AFAIC.

Either way you do it, just stay consistent so you can make the appropriate recipe adjustments.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer