Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: False bottoms...  (Read 1186 times)

Offline nvshooter2276

• Assistant Brewer
Re: False bottoms...
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2023, 08:28:33 pm »
If it's helpful, I've been using 5-gallon paint straining bags for hops for years. They don't generally bunch-up too much and are easy to clean.
I would assume they don't cost an arm and a leg, like would a "five-gallon hop straining bag." I expect we can find these at Lowe's, Home Depot and similar places...

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2023, 05:08:22 am »
If it's helpful, I've been using 5-gallon paint straining bags for hops for years. They don't generally bunch-up too much and are easy to clean.
I would assume they don't cost an arm and a leg, like would a "five-gallon hop straining bag." I expect we can find these at Lowe's, Home Depot and similar places...
Pretty much anyplace that sells cans of paints will have them.
Home Depot lists 5 gal. Elastic Top Strainers (2-Pack) for $4.27, for example.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline nvshooter2276

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2024, 01:25:11 pm »
I found these guys. They will make for you a hop strainer in any dimensions you so desire: https://www.arborfab.com/6x14brewfilterkegglescenterhanging
Arborfab has completed my 4" x 16" hop spider and I have paid the invoice to have it shipped. The problem now is for the carrier to deliver it to the address I've had for maybe as long as six years. The story is too long to tell, so I'll just say I had to collect my last amazon order at my local Walgreens. I had trouble there because the shipper spelled my name wrong. It's 2024 and we're having these little screw-ups. How in helsinki did we ever get to the moon in 1969?

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2024, 02:11:34 pm »
"How in helsinki did we ever get to the moon in 1969?"

That's easy enough to answer. We used slide rules instead of computers.  ;D

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
False bottoms...
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2024, 05:53:12 pm »
We used ‘computers’. Computer was the term used for employees hired for their superior mathematical skill. It was a job title. They were scary smart.

Offline KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2024, 08:04:13 am »
We used ‘computers’. Computer was the term used for employees hired for their superior mathematical skill. It was a job title. They were scary smart.

This subject was highlighted in the movie Hidden Figures.  Great movie!
Joliet, IL

All good things come to those who show patients and perseverance while maintaining a positive and progressive attitude. 😉

Offline nvshooter2276

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2024, 02:50:08 pm »
I found these guys. They will make for you a hop strainer in any dimensions you so desire: https://www.arborfab.com/6x14brewfilterkegglescenterhanging
Hop spider arrived today. After about sixty days and several back-and-forth messages through their website, I got something that is about 99.998 percent useless in its present condition. I can make it work if I do some cutting and drilling on my own of the very hard stainless steel of which it is made-- cutting and drilling I sought to avoid by virtue of purchasing a custom-built strainer. I have sent a message to the maker expressing my disappointment with what was delivered. If it was possible, I'd post-up some photographs of the item and you'd instantly see why I'm so bummed. I attempted to post an image months ago, but the efforts provided no fruit whatsoever. It just ain't my day, is it?
« Last Edit: April 03, 2024, 02:52:53 pm by nvshooter2276 »

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2024, 03:19:22 pm »
For no good reason, I'm sorry you are having trouble posting pictures.  There is "sticky" post that explains how to do it pretty well or download Tapatalk and you can post them directly.

My experience with "custom builds" is they are only as good as you can describe the need to the maker.  It's a human thing (and humans suck).

Hopefully it ends up working well for you. Every time I've custom built something, it took 5-6 iterations to work out the bugs. Custom doesn't mean perfect, just closer than off the shelf.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2024, 03:38:47 pm »
Maybe I am a little late to the party, but what I did was really simple.  I had an old drain flange from a garbage disposal I installed years ago.  The flange wasn't leaking so I left it be and filed the new flange that came in the box with all the other crap I keep and never use.  One day, I thought, Hmmmm, this could be of some use after all.  I drilled 3 holed in the flange just below the ridge that sits in the sink.  Centered it into my kettle and measured out to the ridge of the kettle.  Added about 1/2 inch for user error.  Went to my local hardware store and bought 3 long bolts, 6 washers and 6 nuts.  Put one nut and washer on the bolt and screwed it in as far as it would go.  Pushed the bolt thru the flange and used the second nut and washer and just went to the edge of the bolt so that none of the bolt was showing.  Screwed the nut I had put on first into the flange and pinched the flange between the two washers.  Did that 3 times and Viola, I put a hop bag thru the flange and into the wort, use 3 or 4 aligator clips to hold the bag to the flange and off I go.  The only drawback is the flange gets hot, so I have to make sure I have an oven mit at the ready.  I think the whole thing cost me less than 10 bucks and it works great.  Pictures available on request.  LOL.

Offline nvshooter2276

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2024, 03:40:30 pm »
I've been advised by a person entirely disconnected to homebrewing to send it back and have a new one made at the maker's expense-- and at his expense for all necessary shipping. I saved the box. Had no real reason to do so; I just did. At least now I won't have to go buy a new one and add that to the $119 already invested. That ain't much money; it's the time all this took to get something that isn't what I wanted that irritates me.

« Last Edit: April 03, 2024, 03:48:16 pm by nvshooter2276 »

Offline nvshooter2276

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2024, 08:24:50 am »
I got something that is about 99.998 percent useless in its present condition.
After looking at the thing for a bit, I figgered-out a way to use it. Required two quarter-inch holes to be drilled in an exact location and a piece of wood to be attached at where the holes were drilled. It will be useable; just won't look as aerodynamically-efficient as I had originally desired. It took so long to have it made that I took the decision to live with its ugliness versus sending it back to be rebuilt. Once the piece of wood is attached to the thing, the hop spider itself can be used to stir the wort during the boil-- which was not considered during the design phase...