Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Tasting my first batch and bottling my second.  (Read 1239 times)

Offline dano14041

• Brewer
Tasting my first batch and bottling my second.
« on: October 08, 2010, 09:55:56 pm »
I just finished bottling my second batch of (hopefully) beer, and am now taking time to enjoy a bottle of my first batch.

The first batch was an Irish Red Ale (extract kit and partial boil). It is a little cloudy, but the taste is actually better than I thought it would be. It fermented a little hot and fast, around 70 -72 F, because I didn't have proper temp control, but that is taken care of now.

When I racked my second batch, an Oatmeal Stout, from the fermenting bucket to the bottling bucket, I had about a half gallon of gunk left in the fermenting bucket. I didn't have near that much stuff left on the first batch, should I be worried? I tasted the beer and it didn't taste funky or anything other than flat and a bit watery.  :-\

At least the first batch is drinkable!  ;D

Thanks!
Dano
Tulsa, OK

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
Re: Tasting my first batch and bottling my second.
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2010, 01:29:50 am »
RDWHAHB  ;D

Without the recipe and your procedures it's hard to say, but since I use a CFC getting that much trub in batch is not really that bad.  It's a lot, but not insane.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2010, 01:33:53 am »
Don't worry keep brewing. Congrats on liking your own beer!

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline dano14041

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2010, 08:25:22 am »
I would tell you my procedures, but I f'ed up so much that on that batch, it was more a comedy of errors.

Partial Mash turned into a steep, too much water into the kettle, 60 min boil turned into a 90 min boil, boil overs, etc. It was not a pretty sight.

I guess I'll know if a few weeks what the results are.  :D Until then RDWHAHB.

Thanks for your support!
Dano
Tulsa, OK

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2010, 09:04:30 am »
When I racked my second batch, an Oatmeal Stout, from the fermenting bucket to the bottling bucket, I had about a half gallon of gunk left in the fermenting bucket. I didn't have near that much stuff left on the first batch, should I be worried? I tasted the beer and it didn't taste funky or anything other than flat and a bit watery.  :-\

I'm guessing that the recipe contained oats, right?  And I'll also guess that the oats weren't mashed, just steeped?  If so, you're seeing "oat gunk".  Steeping oats isn't a good way to use them, but a lot of people have been doing it anyway for a long time.  While there might be negative effects from using the oats down the road, as long as you keep the beer too long you should be fine.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline dhacker

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2010, 09:10:40 am »
Don't worry keep brewing. Congrats on liking your own beer!

+1   :)
Just brew it...