Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: i think i have a diastaticus infection...  (Read 908 times)

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: i think i have a diastaticus infection...
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2023, 07:14:40 pm »
Something else I haven't seen mentioned yet - you suspect diastaticus as the culprit, but most STA1+ yeasts that I'm familiar with are POF+ as well. Any off flavors of note on these gushers?

Other random musings:

Beer stone may provide nucleation points that could trigger gushing

Possibly the yeast went into dormancy before it hit its max attentuation somehow? Maybe the process of racking and priming woke them back up? What temp are these being stored at? If its cold enough maybe the yeast is going dormant.

with a considerable further attenuation the flavour changes and i get some esters and i believe diacetyl increased and it does throw off the flavours i noted at bottling.

thinking hard about it today, im thinking it is simply incomplete fermentations for whatever reason with some yeasts. i was attributing this to hop creep several months ago, not sure if i mentioned it here.

thanks, i will just try to fix this from a few potential angles

I've tried to make hop creep happen several times so I could study it, but I couldn't get it. I recently brewed a batch with over 12 oz of dry hops per 5 gal and still couldn't get it. I don't believe it's as common as many think.

not sure what to say, but it may be a matter of my, others, and/or your process.

you dryhop at ~34F, right? do you run the beer through a plate chiller after? if after that point you store the beer at 40-50F temps ie. fridge temps while it carbonates in a keg you might just have whatever ale yeast kept cold enough that it inhibits any further fermentation.

not sure if this is what you do or if this would even in fact inhibit the "hop creep", but perhaps?

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2023, 10:19:48 pm »

I've tried to make hop creep happen several times so I could study it, but I couldn't get it. I recently brewed a batch with over 12 oz of dry hops per 5 gal and still couldn't get it. I don't believe it's as common as many think.

Wow man, I don’t dry hop very often but a few times when I have, fermentations were invigorated and stuck ferments picked right back up. Hop creep can definitely be a big deal.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2023, 08:31:08 am »
Something else I haven't seen mentioned yet - you suspect diastaticus as the culprit, but most STA1+ yeasts that I'm familiar with are POF+ as well. Any off flavors of note on these gushers?

Other random musings:

Beer stone may provide nucleation points that could trigger gushing

Possibly the yeast went into dormancy before it hit its max attentuation somehow? Maybe the process of racking and priming woke them back up? What temp are these being stored at? If its cold enough maybe the yeast is going dormant.

with a considerable further attenuation the flavour changes and i get some esters and i believe diacetyl increased and it does throw off the flavours i noted at bottling.

thinking hard about it today, im thinking it is simply incomplete fermentations for whatever reason with some yeasts. i was attributing this to hop creep several months ago, not sure if i mentioned it here.

thanks, i will just try to fix this from a few potential angles

not sure what to say, but it may be a matter of my, others, and/or your process.

you dryhop at ~34F, right? do you run the beer through a plate chiller after? if after that point you store the beer at 40-50F temps ie. fridge temps while it carbonates in a keg you might just have whatever ale yeast kept cold enough that it inhibits any further fermentation.

not sure if this is what you do or if this would even in fact inhibit the "hop creep", but perhaps?

On the most recent batch, I added 12 oz pet 5 gal at 68F. No signs of hop creep. I have yet to see any definitive homebrew evidence about hop creep. Not saying it doesn't happen, but I'm not convinced its as prevalent as some think.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2023, 08:32:49 am »

Wow man, I don’t dry hop very often but a few times when I have, fermentations were invigorated and stuck ferments picked right back up. Hop creep can definitely be a big deal.

Correlation is not causation. Maybe that was it, maybe not. I dry hop close to 90% of the beers I make. I've given it plenty of chances to happen.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell