Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Has this happened to you?  (Read 1217 times)

Offline brewthru

• Brewer
Re: Has this happened to you?
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2023, 01:44:47 pm »
I finally gave up judging because my taste and smell became unreliable.  Age related, not COVID.

Interesting point and, unfortunately, true as far as I've experienced. While my taste and smell are not unreliable, they definitely have changed. Others think I'm "nuts", but I've always been and am still able to, smell heat.

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2023, 03:45:19 pm »
I finally gave up judging because my taste and smell became unreliable.  Age related, not COVID.

Interesting point and, unfortunately, true as far as I've experienced. While my taste and smell are not unreliable, they definitely have changed. Others think I'm "nuts", but I've always been and am still able to, smell heat.

fyi i dont think youre nuts about that. wont judge if you explain it (if you want to).

Offline KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2023, 05:58:53 am »
I have heard of people who have lost their sense of smell and/or taste since getting COVID and those senses have not yet returned.  I was one of the lucky ones; I got COVID in 2022 and again this past June.  It felt like I had a common cold that lasted about 11 hours each time with zero ill effects.

I hope those senses return soon!  Good luck!
Joliet, IL

All good things come to those who show patients and perseverance while maintaining a positive and progressive attitude. 😉

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2023, 11:40:31 am »
I am on the backend of my third round of covid which started last Sunday. I feel like my sense of taste isn't as strong as normal but I'm not sure if that's a covid symptom, the consequence of congestion, or paranoia about losing my sense of taste again.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline brewthru

• Brewer
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2024, 03:05:44 pm »
I am on the backend of my third round of covid which started last Sunday. I feel like my sense of taste isn't as strong as normal but I'm not sure if that's a covid symptom, the consequence of congestion, or paranoia about losing my sense of taste again.

Remember the regular cold or flu will also skew our tastes.

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2024, 09:28:58 am »
One of the guys I brew with at a Cocoa Village brewery in FL got COVID and could not smell PAA.  That really surprised me since it is so pungent that it tends to burn the lining in a person's nose.  I can always smell that from across the room.
COVID definitely affects different people in different ways.
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified