Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Seconday and Dispensing in Same Keg  (Read 3734 times)

Offline gasman09

• 1st Kit
Seconday and Dispensing in Same Keg
« on: November 17, 2009, 02:04:37 pm »
Was thinking of using the same corny keg for both secondary fermentation and then dispensing (I have an adapted lid w a ferm lock).  Has anyone tried this? Any major cons to this approach?  Thanks.

Offline mybeerpants

• 1st Kit
Re: Seconday and Dispensing in Same Keg
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2009, 02:11:23 pm »
I've done this quite a bit. Just expect the first few pints to have some yeast sediment, but once that's clear you should be good to go as long as it doesn't get shaken up for some reason.
So little to say and so much time.
FWIWLOLOMGLMAOIMHO

Offline tom

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2009, 03:08:16 pm »
Yeah. If you are going to move it, take it to a party, etc. transfer it into another keg.
Brew on

Offline wilypig

• Cellarman
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2009, 12:04:52 pm »
If you secondary in a keg you do not need to put an airlock on. Just pressurize enough to seal and then leave it. When you put it on service you will get on or 2 pints to start with some turbidity but it will clear soon enough. I do this exclusively. I will even primary in a keg with a spunding valve set up to go from kettle to service in 7 days with a cold crash and CP transfer to another keg. This works great for me if I am in a hurry. Or if I am not in a hurry I will ferment in the keg with a blow off set up then transfer to another keg for conditioning. If I fill the keg with sanitizer then force it out with CO2 I am sure that I am minimizing my 02 pick up during racking. Kind of a small scale set up similar to large breweries.
If you can make mac and cheese from a box, you can make great beer.
Weiz Guys Homebrew club Loveland CO
Wilypig Fermentation Specialties

Offline woody

• Cellarman
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2009, 04:28:44 pm »
I do this all the time, no big deal.  Usually dump the first half a glass because its a muddy mess, then after one or two semi cloudy pints it clears right up.   
I believe in a society with a ruling class.   Cause I rule