Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: kettle ball valve sanitization  (Read 8112 times)

Offline dogismycopilot

• 1st Kit
kettle ball valve sanitization
« on: October 10, 2010, 10:54:46 am »
So, I have new kettle with a ball valve, and I'm wondering about sanitization.  I'm using an immersion chiller, so the wort will already be cool when it passes through. 
What's the best way to sanitize the valve?  Run some boiling water through, before the wort boil?  Spray a little iodophor in there with a spray bottle?  Or, does it just get hot enough from the boil to sanitize?  That leads to another question: is it safe to have a hose on the barb during the boil?

Thanks in advance...

Offline svejk

• Assistant Brewer
  • Seattle, Wa
Re: kettle ball valve sanitization
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2010, 11:21:29 am »
As long as the valve is clean before each brew session, a quick spray of iodophor or starsan is more than enough to sanitize the parts that don't get hot enough (if there are any). As far as leaving a hose attached, I regularly have the high-temp silicone tubing attached during the boil without any problems, but I did have a problem with the clear vinyl tubing melting before I switched to silicone.  If the flame is too close to the valve, you could make a heat shield from a metal plate.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2010, 11:28:06 am »
Seems to me that it gets hot enough to sanitize, especially if it was clean to begin with. It's how I use mine and no infections have resulted.

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2010, 12:18:39 pm »
Yeah, that valve is going to get hot enough to sanitize it during the boil.  I try to remember to spray some sanitizer on it before I do the transfer, but I rarely do and haven't had any problems.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline dogismycopilot

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2010, 01:40:29 pm »
Thanks for the input; it's much appreciated!

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2010, 02:57:31 pm »
I recirculate boiling wort using a pump.   You can get a pan or pot and use it to recirculate some boiling wort, and that should do the job.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2010, 03:02:33 pm »
Tubercle has a SS ball valve on his boil kettle. Due to the fact that some debris was noticed in the threads of the valve once during a boil and a finger was stuck in the valve to remove said debris, Tubercle can testify in open court as an expert witness that it is his opinion that the valve gets hot enough to sanitize the surface, or in this case, to partially remove skin.
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline richardt

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2010, 04:08:36 pm »
I routinely use either StarSan spray or isopropyl alcohol wipes to the external and internal aspects of the hose barb before opening up the valve to drain the BK.  It is probably overkill.  And yes--I wait until it has cooled down before doing that.

I do the same for cleaning and sanitizing the plastic hose barbs on the fermentor buckets before hooking up the transfer tubing.

Offline The Professor

• Brewmaster
  • "In the next life, you're on your own"
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2010, 04:55:41 pm »
In 20 years I don't think it ever even occurred to me that it was necessary to sanitize the ball valve...and I never have.  Seems to me that it gets plenty hot heating my mash liquor and boiling the wort.  It has never presented a problem.
AL
New Brunswick, NJ
[499.6, 101.2] Apparent Rennerian
Homebrewer since July 1971

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2010, 06:33:17 pm »
I will state that I have one of those nice Blichmann 3 piece ball valves that you can disassemble and clean.  After 3 years or so I might take it apart and look to see it there is gunk built up. 
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2010, 09:03:53 am »
In 20 years I don't think it ever even occurred to me that it was necessary to sanitize the ball valve...and I never have.  Seems to me that it gets plenty hot heating my mash liquor and boiling the wort.  It has never presented a problem.

Same here.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2010, 09:09:29 am »
I spray the internal cavity with starsan solution prior to every session. I have never had a problem with it and I am not concerned about it. 

That being said....My motto is...better to be safe than sorry.  ;)
Ron Price

Offline dogismycopilot

• 1st Kit
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2010, 05:36:37 pm »
Thanks, everyone