Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Raindrops are falling on my wort...  (Read 2286 times)

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
Raindrops are falling on my wort...
« on: October 23, 2010, 08:09:51 am »
Is it ok if a little rain/drizzle gets into my wort in the last few minutes of the boil? It's drizzly today, but nothing that would keep me from being on the deck (or at least right inside, with a direct view of the kettle 10 feet away). This is in a city, so it's probably not the cleanest rain possible.

Note, at 15 minutes, the boil-off should be great enough that loosely covering the pot won't risk a boil-over (3-gallon batch, 8-gallon pot). But I just wondered what other brewers do.

K.G. Schneider
AHA Member

Offline ryang

• Brewer
  • Indian Hills CO
Re: Raindrops are falling on my wort...
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2010, 08:15:24 am »
I've brewed in darn close to blizzard conditions.  Same principle... no big deal.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2010, 05:03:00 pm »
I highly doubt there is any sort of beer spoiling bacteria or yeast in rain. Regardless, I'v e brewed in downpours and never had an issue. I've simply rigged up a tarp on those times when the rain was pouring hard. Never worried about light rain.

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2010, 05:10:45 pm »
I have got caught many, many times. Those afternoon thunderstorms in the south come up quick. >:(
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

jaybeerman

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2010, 05:50:01 pm »
Rain and snow are ingredients in every brew (you would think) I make but it's the wind that I hate. My solution, since I brew outside with no garage, was to make a mini shelter.  I cut two 4x8 sheets of treated ply in half (4-4x4 sheets) and used short sections of 2x to make a quick box (three sides one top).  Can be assembled in a few minutes and just as easily disassembled.  Cheers, j

Offline ryang

• Brewer
  • Indian Hills CO
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2010, 10:01:14 pm »
Rain and snow are ingredients in every brew (you would think) I make but it's the wind that I hate. My solution, since I brew outside with no garage, was to make a mini shelter.  I cut two 4x8 sheets of treated ply in half (4-4x4 sheets) and used short sections of 2x to make a quick box (three sides one top).  Can be assembled in a few minutes and just as easily disassembled.  Cheers, j

For the wind, I use a big cardboard box and just set the whole thing over the brew kettle.  The lid is open to the top, but sits probably 8-10" above the top of the kettle.  Works great and assembly and break down take about 10 seconds.  No fires yet...
« Last Edit: October 23, 2010, 10:04:43 pm by ryang »

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2010, 11:32:45 pm »
I usually just don't worry about it.  It might rain here a lot (frequency), but it doesn't rain a lot (volume) usually.  If it gets really bad I'll set up a baking sheet over the top of the keggle with enough room for the steam to get out but very little rain to get in.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2010, 04:29:36 pm »
Rain and snow are ingredients in every brew (you would think) I make but it's the wind that I hate. My solution, since I brew outside with no garage, was to make a mini shelter.  I cut two 4x8 sheets of treated ply in half (4-4x4 sheets) and used short sections of 2x to make a quick box (three sides one top).  Can be assembled in a few minutes and just as easily disassembled.  Cheers, j

This proved prophetic. :-) The rain was tolerable, but the wind kept blowing out the flame. I gave up and did this on the stove (small batch, so this actually was feasible). I'll make a mini shelter myself, possibly out of hinged auto drip pans--something cheap, lightweight, and flameproof.
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member