General Category > Ingredients

Molasses in a Porter

(1/2) > >>

troy@uk:
  I am working on a recipe for a Baltic Porter on the low ABV side (btwn 5.5 and 6.0).  I also want to add some home made molasses that I bought way back in the Blue Ridge Mtns. 
  My question is about how much to add (difficult to know without the final recipe) and more importantly, when to add it.  I was thinking to add it late in the boil so I can sanitize it without boiling away any more flavor/aroma than I have to.  I also should consider if the fermentation will drive off much flavor/aroma.  Has anyone worked with this ingredient lately that can give some input to consider?

jfin:
I have used molasses in the boil 1 cup for 5 gallons.  I usually add it at the begining of the boil with malt extract.  adds great flavor 

hopfenundmalz:
I used 1 pound in a 10 gallon batch of baltic porter, and like the results.  It was the light molasses, unsulfured.  Blackstrap is the third runnings, and I am not a fan of that one.

Add at the last 10-15 minutes of the boil.

gordonstrong:
A little bit of blackstrap goes a LONG way.  I've used it in a few recipes and I think I added something like 1 or 2 Tbsp in a 5 gal batch.  I normally use the light unsulfured type (Grandma's brand, I think).  It doesn't really need to boil much; it just needs to dissolve.  You could stir it in at knockout if you wanted. 

bonjour:
I've used one jar (10 oz?) of Grandma's brand, with good results,  end of boil just to make sure it dissolves.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version