General Category > Yeast and Fermentation

Dark stout slurry for pale ale?

(1/3) > >>

lupy:
I'd like to save the yeast (Wyeast 1968) from a stout I plan to brew. I hope to be around 1.070 on the stout and am wondering if that is too high and dark for a future, pale(r) ale.
I haven't crushed the stout grains yet, so I could brew a pale ale first and then use the slurry for the stout, but that messes with my timeline. I suppose I could also save some yeast from the starter.
Generally, I like to take the scenic path of least resistance. What would you do?

a10t2:
Personally, I make my starter a little larger than needed, and save the extra to build up a new starter for next time. I don't think there would be any problem with using some of the slurry from the stout to do the pale ale, though. It would probably be a good idea to rinse the yeast with some pre-boiled water so that you can separate out all the trub. That should minimize flavor transfer.

lupy:
I have been doing a quasi-wash on the yeast which seems to work fairly well so far. My starter set-up is 2L capacity so i really like to put all the yeast in the brew.

bonjour:
The "rule" says that that is too high to reuse.  It will work and you will make beer. 

Fred

lupy:

--- Quote from: bonjour on November 20, 2009, 09:54:59 PM ---The "rule" says that that is too high to reuse.  It will work and you will make beer. 

Fred

--- End quote ---

What is the "rule"?  1.060?  SRM?
thanks

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version