Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Sausage  (Read 87559 times)

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
Re: Sausage
« Reply #135 on: June 06, 2012, 06:13:04 am »
I just let the casing slide more off the tube it appears I am overstuffing. 200 euro is a buttload, is it motorized?

I stuff the entire casing and then twist afterwards. I've seen some do it on the fly and I've never been able to pull that off.

Nope, not motorized. Just no market for them (not much jerky making going on around here either, for example). They don't exist in versions cheaper than 500 eur in France, so I had to go with a UK supplier.

I too have tried to twist during production, it's more trouble than it's worth.

For tying, check this out:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHa9vTxOsJE
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline Delo

• Brewer
« Reply #136 on: June 06, 2012, 07:48:26 am »
Well I bought a pound of natural hog-casings that are salted down like cod but on these hollow plastic strips. One of these strips will probably do 15-20 pounds of sausage.

I think natural casings are preferable due to the crunch/snap and digestibility. They also take on smoke more readily than synthetic. When fermenting I think ultimately natural is the way to go. But for an intro basic unfermented summer sausage a synthetic casing probably will do for now. Mine will have cheddar and jalapeƱo...
Do the plastic strips go all the way down the inside of the casing? For the first time sausage making that I just did, I bought natural hog casings.  I got them from a farmers market by me and were similar to the these but without the plastic strips.  They were all balled up together and I had to untangle them.  I rinsed them with water and ran water through them and they slid pretty easily on the attachement.

From my extremely limited knowledge on the subject, hog casings are easier to work with than other natural casings. For me, who tends to be more destructive than not, they worked well. As far as stuffing goes, I was worried that it would come out too fast and I wouldnt be able to keep up. The grinder I have moves the meat out slowly and I have to push it out to move it faster.  I would slide the casing off the tube as I needed more.  It worked well for me since I was doing it by myself.
Mark

Offline markaberrant

• Brewer
  • Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
    • ALES Club
« Reply #137 on: June 06, 2012, 08:03:04 am »
Any ideas/recipes for an all-beef sausage similar to what they serve in central Texas?  Loved the smoked sausage at Smittys and Louis Mueller, would like to attempt something similar at home.  Thought it was amongst the best I have ever tasted.

I'm guessing they are fairly simple - ground brisket? , salt, pepper, and ???
« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 08:09:30 am by markaberrant »

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #138 on: June 06, 2012, 09:19:52 am »
Try 85% chuck/15% pork shoulder. black & white 'rub' for the seasoning: salt, pepper and a bit of cayenne, I use Salt Lick rub because it's easier. Smoke at 235 to 160 internal, I use a mix of applewood and oak. I suppose hickory would work as well. Eat fresh out of the smoker!
----

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #139 on: June 06, 2012, 01:02:02 pm »
I was wondering if chuck or brisket point would make good beef sausage!

Delo- the casings are completely on the plastic strips. I got them from the butcher at Whole Foods- he said they use them to make their own sausages. I can only imagine that their purpose is to aid slipping onto the stuffer tube without having to disentangle the hog-gut.

So far the "professionals" have been pleased and thrilled that I'm undertaking this. Much like we are eager to welcome new brewers!
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline The Professor

• Brewmaster
  • "In the next life, you're on your own"
« Reply #140 on: June 06, 2012, 03:51:31 pm »
I was wondering if chuck or brisket point would make good beef sausage!

Definitely should be part of the mix for beef sausage (the rest can be assorted trimmings from other cuts, especially chuck).

I also always use some brisket point in my hot dogs (mostly pork, like any superior quality hot dog should be, but I do add in about 15-20% brisket)
AL
New Brunswick, NJ
[499.6, 101.2] Apparent Rennerian
Homebrewer since July 1971

Offline markaberrant

• Brewer
  • Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
    • ALES Club
« Reply #141 on: June 06, 2012, 07:01:47 pm »
I also always use some brisket point in my hot dogs (mostly pork, like any superior quality hot dog should be, but I do add in about 15-20% brisket)

Mind sharing that recipe?

Offline Delo

• Brewer
« Reply #142 on: June 07, 2012, 11:56:09 am »
Euge- Thanks for the info. The plastic stips seem like they would be helpful and its good to know whole foods has the casings too.

I went back and read through most of this thread. There is a lot of great info. I may have missed it but can anyone tell me what is the best way to store the links in the freezer? I did a pretty poor job with the freezer paper and zip lock bags. A lot of mine stuck together.  Also has anyone made sausages with cheese in them? Are there any special techniques? I would imagine you would have to use "higher temperature" cheese. I plan on making chicken chipotle w/ cheddar or jack cheese sausage.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 11:58:20 am by Delo »
Mark

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #143 on: June 07, 2012, 12:17:19 pm »
I made a kilo of sausage last night and used the "stuffer". I let the grinder do it's job and chilled every part in the freezer for at least an hour. Cleaned out the grinder about halfway through and chilled it again. Went real smooth.

Now that I've used it- the "stuffer" has made itself indispensable with one stuffing session. If you are going to make sausage in casing in any real quantity you have to have one of these. Crank the crank and the meat comes out nice and easy and freely.

I'm going to add cheese too. I think dicing it and then freezing the cheeze and adding it to the mixing phase right before going into the stuffer would work best.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #144 on: June 08, 2012, 06:42:23 am »
Last night I did 7 kg of sausage, 3.5 kg of basil/tomato/chicken and 3.5 kg of mango/chile/cilantro/chicken. Basil tomato was just too salty. Gonna try it one more time with 1/3 less salt, but mango chicken is one of our favorites.

OH and I only busted ONE casing out of 35! Overstuffing will hopefully be a thing of the past from now on. Trick is to just let the meat do the work for you with pulling the casing.

Also Euge my stuffer will hopefully be here shortly, I finished up last night just before midnight. My meat grinder is great (although ----extremely---- loud) but it's a lousy stuffer. I'm liking the idea of being able to just turn the crank instead of turn on/push with plunger/add meat/turn off/repeat.
----

Offline Delo

• Brewer
« Reply #145 on: June 08, 2012, 08:27:20 am »
I'm going to add cheese too. I think dicing it and then freezing the cheeze and adding it to the mixing phase right before going into the stuffer would work best.
I didnt think about freezing the cheese.

Last night I did 7 kg of sausage, 3.5 kg of basil/tomato/chicken and 3.5 kg of mango/chile/cilantro/chicken. Basil tomato was just too salty. Gonna try it one more time with 1/3 less salt, but mango chicken is one of our favorites.
These both sound good. Did you add fat? I'm planning on making chicken sausage for the first time tomorrow morning with 4 or 5lbs of breast from Costco that I have.  From what I have heard, I was wondering it will be too dry and I should add fat...or dark meat....or skin...or something. 
« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 08:37:34 am by Delo »
Mark

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #146 on: June 08, 2012, 08:39:18 am »
I didnt think about freezing the cheese.

These both sound good. Did you add fat? I'm planning on making chicken sausage for the first time tomorrow morning with 4 or 5lbs of breast from Costco that I have.  From what I have heard, I was wondering it will be too dry and I should add fat...or dark meat....or skin...or something.

Nope. I used 100% boneless (NOT skinless) thighs and legs. Plenty of fat, no need to add any. Good flavor. Have to special order them every time, and the butcher does it by hand. I feel a little bad for her, but then I remember that I'm paying her to do it and the sausages are tasty.
----

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
Sausage
« Reply #147 on: June 10, 2012, 01:13:23 pm »
Stuffer should be here tomorrow!!!!! I've got a shoulder ready, gonna try to make a new recipe. Base is Wisconsin-style brats, but I'm adding dried pears and armagnac.
----

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #148 on: June 10, 2012, 01:31:39 pm »
Are you doing an emulsified sausage? You'll love the stuffer.

I'm doing a spicy one today: got two habeneros for a kg of pork shoulder. And some dried bird's eye chile as backup if the habenero doesn't do the trick.

I have cure 1&2 so plan on adding a bit to this recipe, hot smoking and vac-packing for storage in the fridge. Ought to last for months if I don't gobble it all up.

Also, Ive been studying "Home Production of Quality Meats and Sausages" by S. Marianski & A. Marianski. Dense and chock full of precise information.

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #149 on: June 11, 2012, 10:24:22 am »
It seems that for dry curing sausage, you need to include a starter culture. I'm wondering if it wouldn't work to just scrape off the white mold from some sausage I have and use that? It's awfully expensive to buy those little packets...
----