Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Sausage  (Read 87558 times)

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: Sausage
« Reply #150 on: June 11, 2012, 10:47:15 am »
It seems that for dry curing sausage, you need to include a starter culture. I'm wondering if it wouldn't work to just scrape off the white mold from some sausage I have and use that? It's awfully expensive to buy those little packets...

There's usually an initial lactic culture and the white mold is a secondary application after the lactic is done.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
Sausage
« Reply #151 on: June 11, 2012, 12:15:29 pm »
I see now why my stuffer was so expensive.

That's a 750 ml bottle next to it for size comparison.
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #152 on: June 11, 2012, 01:03:16 pm »
I didn't realize Ron Jeremy made a sausage stuffer   :)
I assume you're getting your cholesterol and liver function tests done on a fairly frequent basis?

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
Sausage
« Reply #153 on: June 11, 2012, 01:26:48 pm »
I didn't realize Ron Jeremy made a sausage stuffer   :)
I assume you're getting your cholesterol and liver function tests done on a fairly frequent basis?

Sorry I didn't hear ya, was in the middle of anudder hyart ettack. I ordered da poooolish sahhhsadge.
----

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #154 on: June 11, 2012, 03:42:21 pm »
Ah I see you got the two speed model. Is that a 5 kilo stuffer?
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline maxieboy

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Mid MI
« Reply #155 on: June 11, 2012, 06:25:00 pm »
Sausage stuffer now on the to buy list. You guys are killin' me...  ;)
A dog can show you more honest affection with a flick of his tail than a man can gather through a lifetime of handshakes." Gene Hill

[47.7, 310.8] AR

AHA Member

Offline thebigbaker

• Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #156 on: June 11, 2012, 07:03:04 pm »
I've been doing a lot of home made items recently to control my sodium intake and this thread has given me some major incentive to make my own low sodium sausages.  After all, I think I can convince my wife to let me get some new shiny toys if it's for health reasons!
Jeremy Baker

"An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You should never see an Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order sign, just Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
Sausage
« Reply #157 on: June 11, 2012, 11:05:37 pm »
Ah I see you got the two speed model. Is that a 5 kilo stuffer?

5 liters actually. For water volume I know 5 l is 5 kg, I have a 2.5 kg shoulder I'll throw in there tonight to see how far it comes up. Best part is the cylinder pops out like a champ for cleaning/freezing.
----

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #158 on: June 11, 2012, 11:32:32 pm »
Looks amazing Phil!

I happened to be in the south end of Seattle today, stopped by the sausage making supply place . . . got some modern cure, enough for 500 lbs of meat for $1.89.  THAT will last a while :)

Same amount costs $25 at the butcher shop where I got my first packet. ::)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
Sausage
« Reply #159 on: June 12, 2012, 03:16:49 pm »
Just used it for the first time tonight. Talk about a game changer - my previous worm drive type stuffer would do 2 kg in about 10 minutes, with LOUD noise. This makes no noise and I had stuffed 4 meters of Apfelbratwurst* in, no kidding, 2 minutes. With time to stop and change some things around.

* = bratwurst with diced dried apples and a cup of cold calvados for liquid.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
----

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #160 on: June 12, 2012, 03:50:07 pm »
Just used it for the first time tonight. Talk about a game changer - my previous worm drive type stuffer would do 2 kg in about 10 minutes, with LOUD noise. This makes no noise and I had stuffed 4 meters of Apfelbratwurst* in, no kidding, 2 minutes. With time to stop and change some things around.

* = bratwurst with diced dried apples and a cup of cold calvados for liquid.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Now you see what a cruel joke it is to try and stuff through a grinder.

Sunday I stuffed habenero-cheese with cumin and garlic. Used #1 cure and have let them rest in the fridge on a rack to dry and condition a bit. Tonight I will hot- smoke to 150f and then a cold water bath to cool. Or I could do a couple hours at a lower temp and then poach them to finish. Then once cooled I will vac-seal and enjoy the sausages over the weeks to come.

Not sure how long the cure will keep them but a month or two in the fridge crisper ought to work.

BTW it is interesting to see the sausages turn that deeper red as the cure works its magic on the meat.

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #161 on: June 13, 2012, 07:00:17 am »
Somewhat unrelated. I dun goofed. I think the bacon I've been eating lately was cured with #2 and not #1. This was weeks/months ago, so the risk of imminent death is passed. But how bad is it really?
----

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #162 on: June 13, 2012, 11:50:41 am »
Somewhat unrelated. I dun goofed. I think the bacon I've been eating lately was cured with #2 and not #1. This was weeks/months ago, so the risk of imminent death is passed. But how bad is it really?

You made your own bacon with #2? It should be ok with the time-frame you've described. You had already wiped/rinsed the meat off most likely... I'd say you're fine.

Offline maxieboy

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Mid MI
« Reply #163 on: June 13, 2012, 05:15:51 pm »

You're terminal. IM incoming with my shipping address for your sausage stuffer...  ;D
A dog can show you more honest affection with a flick of his tail than a man can gather through a lifetime of handshakes." Gene Hill

[47.7, 310.8] AR

AHA Member

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #164 on: June 14, 2012, 02:05:32 am »

You're terminal. IM incoming with my shipping address for your sausage stuffer...  ;D

When you see the shipping costs for a 20-pound 3-foot-high stuffer, you'll be terminal too.
----