Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Sausage  (Read 87555 times)

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: Sausage
« Reply #195 on: July 19, 2012, 12:57:10 am »
I did some Kielbasa this evening. Tastes great pre-cure. Now resting in the fridge and I will smoke it probably in a couple days. This would be considered "country-style"

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #196 on: July 19, 2012, 05:40:02 am »
Looks as good as the fresh kielbasa from the Polish butchers in Jersey!  And that's sayin' somethin'! Good job, Euge!
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #197 on: August 14, 2012, 08:10:02 pm »
Made 3 batches of summer sausage so far.

Soy protien is a must!!! All the difference in the world.

Fixing to dry cure a deboned boston butt to make some buckboard bacon. Got my cold smoker device perfected. I'll post pictures when I smoke the butt after curing.
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #198 on: August 24, 2012, 07:29:02 pm »
Dry cured boston butt on the smoker right now.

First I de-boned and cut the butt in half longways.

I used 1 cup kosher salt, 1/2 cup brown sugar and 1 tsp #1 cure for the rub. Put each piece seperate in a gallon zip lock in the fridge for 4 days, turning daily, rinsed and dried and then 2 days on a rack in the fridge. Smoking for 6 hours w/hickory @ 150f then in the fridge overnight before slicing. I rubbed with coarse ground pepper before smoking (I found a use for the old coffee grinder).

Buckboard bacon for breakfast....
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline realbeerguy

• Brewer
  • Golf & drink beer with your friends
« Reply #199 on: August 24, 2012, 09:03:58 pm »
I did some Kielbasa this evening. Tastes great pre-cure. Now resting in the fridge and I will smoke it probably in a couple days. This would be considered "country-style"

Send realbeerguy some Kiebasa so he doesn't have to make an emergency trip to Sayreville.
Member Savannah Brewers League & Lowcountry MALTS

Bluffton SC

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #200 on: August 24, 2012, 10:07:07 pm »
Buckboard bacon off the smoker.

Had to fry some up...extremely salty! More like what we call around here as country ham. Very god taste but too much salt. I'll slice and put in the freezer for beans.

Yesterday I ordered a pork belly from a butcher in the next town over. Going to use much less salt, maybe a few tablespoons and a whole lot more brown sugar. Instead of the zip lock bags I will cure on a rack. I will remove the kegs from the kegarator and use it as a curing fridge.

Offline 1vertical

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Ozone Layer. Actual location
« Reply #201 on: August 24, 2012, 10:48:09 pm »
you summed it up didn't ya...
I really, really wish you guys would stop this crap.

In the past 3 weeks The Tubercle has bought a 350 watt meat grinder, a bunch of casings, hog rings, pliers, etc. Made bratwurst and it was delicious. Just got through stuffing 5 lbs of summer sausage which is curing in the fridge. First thing in the morning I have to get up and start smoking them. I had to make a bunch of modifications to my smoker to hang the sausages.

Please stop. I don't have time to make beer now.

Now he has "refurbished" the kegerator too..... ;D ;D ;D ;D
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #202 on: August 25, 2012, 07:48:06 am »
Buckboard bacon off the smoker.

Had to fry some up...extremely salty! More like what we call around here as country ham. Very god taste but too much salt. I'll slice and put in the freezer for beans.

Yesterday I ordered a pork belly from a butcher in the next town over. Going to use much less salt, maybe a few tablespoons and a whole lot more brown sugar. Instead of the zip lock bags I will cure on a rack. I will remove the kegs from the kegarator and use it as a curing fridge.

Oh they should be cured in ziplocs first and overhauled at least once a day for 7 days until firm to the touch. The bag is to keep them exposed to the liquid that comes out and then reabsorbs. Then they can go on a rack and dry; you'll end up with something like pancetta.

I did some buckboard bacon too but overcured it! The color was almost like pastrami. Still good but less cure/time would have been better.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #203 on: August 25, 2012, 09:20:52 am »
you summed it up didn't ya...
I really, really wish you guys would stop this crap.

In the past 3 weeks The Tubercle has bought a 350 watt meat grinder, a bunch of casings, hog rings, pliers, etc. Made bratwurst and it was delicious. Just got through stuffing 5 lbs of summer sausage which is curing in the fridge. First thing in the morning I have to get up and start smoking them. I had to make a bunch of modifications to my smoker to hang the sausages.

Please stop. I don't have time to make beer now.

Now he has "refurbished" the kegerator too..... ;D ;D ;D ;D

Glad I kept all those bottles ;D ;D ;D ;D

Oh they should be cured in ziplocs first and overhauled at least once a day for 7 days until firm to the touch. The bag is to keep them exposed to the liquid that comes out and then reabsorbs. Then they can go on a rack and dry; you'll end up with something like pancetta.

I did some buckboard bacon too but overcured it! The color was almost like pastrami. Still good but less cure/time would have been better.

OK...I'll use the bags. This came out very firm and good color. Just too much salt. Judging by the color from the cure I think the timing was right for the thickness. It was pink throughout.

After sitting in the fridge overnight I sliced it very thin on the food slicer and tried some more. It was OK...taste was very good and not quite as salty cut thin. I vac sealed in 1 lb pouches and put in the freezer. It won't go to waste.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2012, 09:27:46 am by tubercle »

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #204 on: August 25, 2012, 11:33:14 am »
There's something to be said about an ice-cold bottle of beer right after some sweaty yard-work. Ahhhhhh...!

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #205 on: March 04, 2013, 05:54:34 pm »
Four kilos of Polish "funeral-sausage"... Actually it's a spin on Polish wedding sausage by way of Ukraine. Pork butt and brisket fat trimmings. Garlic, salt, cure #1, fresh garlic, fresh cracked pepper, marjoram, bay leaf, allspice, nutmeg, chile de arbol and red wine. Totally old-world and old-school.

Coarse-ground and spicy. Made in honor of my Dear Uncle and my Mother who we will lay to rest next week up in Arkansas in the family plot. Enjoy.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #206 on: March 04, 2013, 11:33:35 pm »
looks awesome euge.  awesome
Tom Schmidlin

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #207 on: March 05, 2013, 05:43:04 am »
looks awesome euge.  awesome

+100 LDL ;)
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #208 on: March 19, 2013, 06:29:21 am »
Last night I made up a batch of Ruhlman's Peperone. The line for the freshly ground beef at the meat counter was way too long (end of school vacation here so everybody's back with nothing in their fridges), so the wife got pre-ground beef, 'packaged under a protective atmosphere.' I figure the sausage you buy in the grocery store is made with worse, so no biggie.

This is my first time doing 'real' cured sausage, i.e., no cooking at all, leaving it downstairs for 2 weeks, load it up with 6 grams of Prague #2, so nitrite and nitrate. Spices were paprika, cayenne, allspice, and supposedly fennel. I say supposedly because we don't have fennel in the supermarkets here, so I had to use a 'breastfeeding mother' tea, composed of fennugreek, fennel, and a few other herbs. That'll be interesting.

First time using lactic culture, too. Apparently I was supposed to keep the packet in the fridge... Ooops. It was downstairs in the cellar, which is about 55 degrees, so somewhat 'cold.' We'll see. If all goes well I'll post some pics in two weeks.
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #209 on: March 19, 2013, 06:56:34 am »
I haven't done a fermented sausage either. Supposedly, you'll need to keep the sausage in a warm place for a couple days to get the culture "going". An unlit oven has been suggested by some... Your cellar sounds perfect for hanging the sausage to finish curing and dry.