Other than Brewing > All Things Food

Sausage

<< < (43/44) > >>

phillamb168:

--- Quote from: euge on March 19, 2013, 05:56:34 AM ---I haven't done a fermented sausage either. Supposedly, you'll need to keep the sausage in a warm place for a couple days to get the culture "going". An unlit oven has been suggested by some... Your cellar sounds perfect for hanging the sausage to finish curing and dry.

--- End quote ---

Ruhlman sez to keep it someplace ~ 80 deg F for 12 hours, so I put it in our oven with the oven light on. It felt somewhat warm to the touch when I took it out this morning. Talk about being counter-intuitive. Raw meat left overnight in a warm place.

corkybstewart:
We're getting ready for Oktoberfest so me and my sausage team made 50 pounds of sausage last night:
22 pounds of pork sirloin
18 pounds brisket(fat from brisket ground very fine)
10 pounds pork fat ground very fine
In 2 bottles of Guinness ad seasonings:
12 tablespoons coarse Kosher salt
3 tablespoons fresh ground pepper
3 teaspoons nutmeg
2 tablespoons onion powder

Stuff into hog casings
The first sausage batch is always a fun party for me and the crew, lots of food, beer, wine, and laughter.

gmac:

--- Quote from: corkybstewart on September 14, 2013, 07:14:35 AM ---We're getting ready for Oktoberfest so me and my sausage team made 50 pounds of sausage last night:
22 pounds of pork sirloin
18 pounds brisket(fat from brisket ground very fine)
10 pounds pork fat ground very fine
In 2 bottles of Guinness ad seasonings:
12 tablespoons coarse Kosher salt
3 tablespoons fresh ground pepper
3 teaspoons nutmeg
2 tablespoons onion powder

Stuff into hog casings
The first sausage batch is always a fun party for me and the crew, lots of food, beer, wine, and laughter.

--- End quote ---

Very VERY jealous Corkybstewart!!

HoosierBrew:
No kidding. That's a hell of an operation you ran there.  Sounds amazing !

euge:
Just finished stuffing my garlic kielbassa and now it's curing in the cold garage. Temps won't get over 45 today and I doubt the garage will change much. Goes for a cold smoke after work tonight. Been searching for a cheap and easy way to hang wet sausage without it unraveling, Guess I found it!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version