Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Sausage  (Read 87979 times)

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: Sausage
« Reply #45 on: October 15, 2010, 12:50:22 pm »
I found this site. Very informative and instructional.

http://www.wedlinydomowe.com/
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #46 on: October 15, 2010, 01:02:07 pm »
Lots of recipes on there, thanks for the link euge.  :)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline MrNate

• Brewmaster
  • Bridgewater, NJ
« Reply #47 on: October 15, 2010, 01:03:51 pm »
Dang, now I want to make sausage.

I hate you guys. First it's beer. Then cider. Then wine. Then bread, cheese, smoked meats, pepper sauce, sauerkraut, scrapple, soap, and now sausage? Sheesh, it's like I'm turning into my own little country store over here.
“If one's actions are honest, one does not need the predated confidence of others, only their rational perception.”

Offline The Professor

• Brewmaster
  • "In the next life, you're on your own"
« Reply #48 on: October 15, 2010, 11:25:06 pm »
Dang, now I want to make sausage.

I hate you guys. First it's beer. Then cider. Then wine. Then bread, cheese, smoked meats, pepper sauce, sauerkraut, scrapple, soap, and now sausage? Sheesh, it's like I'm turning into my own little country store over here.

LOL!  I feel the same way sometimes.   Love it though...at least I know what's going into it!!!
But really, making sausage is one of the easiest things in the world to make.  And like homebrew, once you get the hang of it it's far better than pretty much anything you can buy.
AL
New Brunswick, NJ
[499.6, 101.2] Apparent Rennerian
Homebrewer since July 1971

Offline MrNate

• Brewmaster
  • Bridgewater, NJ
« Reply #49 on: October 16, 2010, 09:10:34 am »
Yeah, that's really the problem. Once you've done it once or twice, you see stuff in the store and think to yourself, "I'll just make some. No big deal." Then next thing you know you're churning butter on the weekends.
“If one's actions are honest, one does not need the predated confidence of others, only their rational perception.”

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Lat 40* 6 m. 2.24 s. Long -74* 51 m. 21.75 s.
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #50 on: October 16, 2010, 09:36:15 am »

We churn our own butter. Its easy with a mixer.

First time was an accident. We were aiming for whip cream.
Beer, its whats for dinner.

http://theholyravioli.blogspot.com/

http:// www.thecapo.us

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #51 on: October 16, 2010, 09:51:01 am »

We churn our own butter. Its easy with a mixer.

First time was an accident. We were aiming for whip cream.

Discovered that as a bartender. Nice fresh sweet-cream butter.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline MrNate

• Brewmaster
  • Bridgewater, NJ
« Reply #52 on: October 16, 2010, 10:07:34 am »
Yeah, my wife made butter trying to make whipped cream. She didn't realize it, and I didn't have the heart to tell her.

I forget what we had it on, but it was good!

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #53 on: October 16, 2010, 10:25:12 am »
I've made my own butter, it turned out really nice - but I decided the effort wasn't worth it on a regular basis.  Unless you can get the cream cheap, you spend more money making it yourself than if you just bought a good quality butter to begin with.  Now I only make it for special occasions. :)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #54 on: October 16, 2010, 10:31:38 am »
That was pretty much my conclusion.

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #55 on: October 16, 2010, 10:52:18 am »
We make it when we get cream at the Hallo Farm Dairy. Its half there what it is at  the grocery store. I then usually plan making Ethiopian food around that cause I make niter kebbeh with the fresh butter.

Also works wonderfully for making homemade Gee.Try it in Chicken Kiev. 

Offline MrNate

• Brewmaster
  • Bridgewater, NJ
« Reply #56 on: October 16, 2010, 02:11:40 pm »
One of the many reasons I wish I lived 30 miles west of here. You can't buy unpastuerized dairy here, and it's hard to find a dairy farm that'll sell direct. Hell, the biggest dairy farm in the area just sold off the herd and closed up shop last year.

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #57 on: October 16, 2010, 08:43:46 pm »
It is illegal to sell raw milk products in NJ an PA. you have to know someone in the dairy business to get it from the back door. I used to know a guy that would hook me up. He would scoop it out of the mixing vat that kept the cream from rising. The vat sat just before the homogenizing and pasteurizing processes.

Really good stuff for cooking. A really thick cream would rise to the top. Very good.

mrnate, if you are ever near Trenton stop in at the Halo Farm store. They have really good farm fresh milk and stuff. Great prices too. Its pasteurized but very fresh and right from the farm. Kids love going there too cause they can watch the packaging line in operation from the store

Offline The Professor

• Brewmaster
  • "In the next life, you're on your own"
« Reply #58 on: October 16, 2010, 10:26:37 pm »
A big +1 on Halo Farm, and in nearby Lawrenceville check out Cherry Grove Farm.  They have great meat products (including grass fed beef, whey fed pork, and free true free range eggs)  as well as some great raw milk cheeses (they fall within the aging guidelines to keep them legal). 

While you're in the neighborhood, also check out Terhune Orchards for some great produce and right now, great apples in many varieties.

The Garden State still has some really great gardens, if you seek them out!
AL
New Brunswick, NJ
[499.6, 101.2] Apparent Rennerian
Homebrewer since July 1971

Offline MrNate

• Brewmaster
  • Bridgewater, NJ
« Reply #59 on: October 16, 2010, 10:38:33 pm »
A big +1 on Halo Farm, and in nearby Lawrenceville check out Cherry Grove Farm.  They have great meat products (including grass fed beef, whey fed pork, and free true free range eggs)  as well as some great raw milk cheeses (they fall within the aging guidelines to keep them legal). 

While you're in the neighborhood, also check out Terhune Orchards for some great produce and right now, great apples in many varieties.

The Garden State still has some really great gardens, if you seek them out!

Terhune cider makes the absolute best hard cider, hands down. I make some just about every yer (not this year, though).
Raw milk is legal in PA if you have a "raw milk permit". There was a guy who got busted not too long ago for selling at a farmer's market without said permit..