Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Sausage  (Read 87991 times)

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Sausage
« Reply #75 on: January 10, 2011, 03:28:50 pm »
The mushy sausage sounds a lot like the Louisiana boudin my BIL gave me at Christmas.  made with rice, pork ans just a hint of liver it's really good stuff.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline markaberrant

• Brewer
  • Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
    • ALES Club
« Reply #76 on: January 10, 2011, 08:01:33 pm »
The mushy sausage sounds a lot like the Louisiana boudin my BIL gave me at Christmas.  made with rice, pork ans just a hint of liver it's really good stuff.

Yeah, I need to make more, I've been craving some.  But I just got my new electric grinder/stuffer so I'm gonna give that a test run next weekend with some fairly basic pork sausages and turkey brats.

Offline bluedog

• Cellarman
« Reply #77 on: January 21, 2011, 08:31:59 pm »
I have been making sausage for about fifteen years and I can offer a little advice. Check out Rytek Kutas' book on Sausage Making - it is the real deal. I would also recommend Bruce Aidell's book and even Emeril has a section in his Real and Rustic book on Charcuterie. Also check out The Sausage Maker Catalog. From experience I can tell you the Kitchen Aid attachment will work if you want to make a pound of brats. But if you want to make more than a pound at a time invest in a sausage press. I bought one after fighting the Kitchen aid and it is money well spent. Think Corona mill vs any of the higher end malt mills. I also recommend mixing any dry spices with ice water before adding them to the meat mixture for a more even distribution of spice.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2011, 08:32:47 am by bluedog »

Offline markaberrant

• Brewer
  • Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
    • ALES Club
« Reply #78 on: January 24, 2011, 06:45:26 pm »
I also recommend mixing any dry spices with ice water before adding them to the meat mixture for a more even distribution of spice.

I did this on the weekend, worked great.

Offline rabid_dingo

• Brewmaster
  • Brighton, CO :D
    • Mile High Monks
« Reply #79 on: February 11, 2011, 12:38:43 am »
Does anyone have a good breakfast sausage recipe?
Ruben * Colorado :)

Offline rabid_dingo

• Brewmaster
    • Mile High Monks
« Reply #80 on: February 11, 2011, 12:50:14 am »
Made some home made chorizo, I have to ask my mom if it is ok to share the recipe, it was Grandma's...But enjoy the view.

The mix of garlic, spices and herbs.

Ancho and Rojo(Colorado) Chiles. In a steam basket in a pot. Easier than soaking in water. Too much gets
wicked away in water. Steam does enough to soften the dried chiles and makes them easy to work with.

The final product. It has to sit and marinate overnight or for at least 12 hours. Garage is cold enough
I sat it on the floor covered overnight.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 12:52:21 am by rabid_dingo »

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #81 on: February 11, 2011, 12:52:38 am »
Does anyone have a good breakfast sausage recipe?

Sage.

Add this to (as desired) salt and pepper, powdered garlic along with crushed red chile or jalapeƱo. I ground up chilled pork-butt roasts. No binder. It's the sage that makes the difference. Pretty much star of the show. BTW go easy with the garlic.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline rabid_dingo

• Brewmaster
    • Mile High Monks
« Reply #82 on: February 11, 2011, 11:42:24 am »
Cool. Thanks.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #83 on: February 11, 2011, 12:22:21 pm »
Made some home made chorizo, I have to ask my mom if it is ok to share the recipe, it was Grandma's...But enjoy the view.

One of my favorite sausages. Looks great!

I'd love to see your family recipe.

Thanks for sharing.  :)
Ron Price

Offline miguelpanderland

• Cellarman
  • Glendale, WI
« Reply #84 on: February 24, 2011, 07:06:16 pm »
Anyone have a great bratwurst recipe?  Going to use my new sausage stuffer for the first time on Saturday.

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #85 on: March 27, 2011, 01:30:18 pm »
UPS delivered my meat grinder attachment for the kitchen aid on Friday and I just ordered up some sausage casings.  Going to make up 10 lbs one of these upcoming weekends.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #86 on: August 26, 2011, 02:10:13 pm »
It's time we started talking about home made sausage again . . .

Someone who really likes me gave me a kitchenaid mixer.  I've ordered the meat grinder attachment and plan to make some sausage next week, but I haven't decided what kind yet.  I'll be reading the sausage section of Charcuterie this weekend and picking something out.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #87 on: August 26, 2011, 02:29:27 pm »
I still haven't made any yet.  One of these weekends I need to get on that.  I did break in the meatgrinder attachment though to make burgers the other weekend.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline EHall

• Brewmaster
« Reply #88 on: August 26, 2011, 03:45:45 pm »
Tom,
Tip for the kitchenaid... freeze your meatgrinder and pull it out right before you ready to use... that info is usually in all the books but I found out the hard way that the kitchenaid heats up pretty quickly.
Phoenix, AZ

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #89 on: August 26, 2011, 04:03:23 pm »
Good to know, thanks for the tip!  It will be my first grinding so I'm not sure what to expect.  Lots of reading to do. :)
Tom Schmidlin