General Category > Ingredients

hops transplant

(1/2) > >>

baynesbrew2:
Hi all
planted hops for the first time this year.They did well for the most part but I feel I placed in a bad location.I would like to move them and was wondering when would be the best time ie. now or wait till spring

micsager:

--- Quote from: baynesbrew2 on October 06, 2010, 06:21:44 AM ---Hi all
planted hops for the first time this year.They did well for the most part but I feel I placed in a bad location.I would like to move them and was wondering when would be the best time ie. now or wait till spring

--- End quote ---

I don't know for certain, but I usually transplant other things in December.  But, I live in the Northwest, where the ground seldom freezes. 

bonjour:
consider that hops are shipped for purchase in the spring,  I would wait for spring.

ryang:
although I haven't delt with transplanting hops (it's only my first year growing them)...

it's best to transplant other shrubs/trees/perennials in the fall.  it gives them a little bit of time to establish a couple roots, then can grow more vigorously in the spring without having to establish its stomping grounds first.

Besides the veggies, I do most of my gardening in the fall (I'm not a big annual kinda guy-except the veggies).  Transplanted hundreds of trees and shrubs this way for years.

baynesbrew2:
thanks for the replies .I was thinking along the same lines as ryang but wasn't sure If anyone else has any thoughts they would be appreciated. BTW I' m located in southern NJ

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version