Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Pitching yeast starter too soon and combing yeasts  (Read 1739 times)

Offline PNWBrewer

• 1st Kit
Pitching yeast starter too soon and combing yeasts
« on: October 09, 2010, 07:30:42 pm »
I just made one, but wanted to brew tomorrow (in about 18 hours).  In Palmer's book it notes to wait a few days.  I don't usually make starters, but pitch it right from the package.  Are there any problems that I can expect by pitching the starter too soon? 

Also, my last batch I combined two strands of yeast, had a good outcome, and am doing the same with this one.  This time I am repitching WLP001 and a new vile of WLP004.  Can anyone think of any concerns with doing so? 

Thanks in advance for the feedback. 

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
Re: Pitching yeast starter too soon and combing yeasts
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2010, 07:44:30 pm »
If it's a relatively small starter in comparison to your batch volume you could just pitch the entire in at high krausen and that should be fine.

If it's a big starter you probably don't want that much DME starter wort in there and it would be better to wait until it's done, chill it down overnight, then decant and pitch the slurry.

You could always let the wort sit overnight while you chill it down after it finishes and just pitch the yeast the next morning.  That's not ideal but I've done it several times out of necessity without a problem.
Clint
Wort Hogs

boulderbrewer

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2010, 08:37:44 pm »
Shake your starter every hour to help if it is not on a stir plate. There is no guarantee that the yeast ratios will be the same so the beer will be similar but not the same. Pitch at high krausen like tygo suggested.

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2010, 08:48:08 pm »
I just made one, but wanted to brew tomorrow (in about 18 hours).  In Palmer's book it notes to wait a few days.  I don't usually make starters, but pitch it right from the package.  Are there any problems that I can expect by pitching the starter too soon? 

Even an immature starter is better than no starter at all
Joe