Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: cancun  (Read 2536 times)

Offline baynesbrew2

• 1st Kit
cancun
« on: October 06, 2010, 02:01:29 pm »
Anyone know any beercentrc locations in or around Cancun. Heading there next week.

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
Re: cancun
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2010, 09:52:20 am »
I haven't been down there in years but I never saw anything resembling good beer when I was in Cacun.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2010, 02:14:16 pm »
Joe

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2010, 06:31:28 pm »
You're screwed.  :-\

Take the time to enjoy some good tequilla while you're down there.
If you've got a good eye - you can get Cuban cigars down there. Watch for fakes.
Most hotels seem to serve XX - which I prefer to corona anyway.

The moral majority, is neither.

Offline rabid_dingo

• Brewmaster
  • Brighton, CO :D
    • Mile High Monks
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2010, 11:17:25 pm »
My dad owns a timeshare there. We try and go every June...Beerocd is right. I tried the XX ambar. (i want to say they
spelled it like that on purpose) but it becomes a week for rum and coke for me or what ever frozen coconut
concoction I am in the mood for. Sitting on the beach it is easy, for me at least, to just drink TKT. That is
spanish for Tecate with a lime. Wilma tore it up there. They may have put in a brewpub or what not but
nothing as of two years ago.
Ruben * Colorado :)

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2010, 05:47:21 pm »
I've never been to Cancun, but when in Puerto Vallarta the beer of choice was Negra Modelo and we drank a bunch of it. Also have some Don Julio tequila. It was the standard pour in PV and is good stuff, I like the Reposado and Anejo.
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline Brewerguy

• 1st Kit
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2010, 08:55:02 am »
Anyone know any beercentrc locations in or around Cancun. Heading there next week.

Heck, I know I'm a bit late to help you, but maybe I can help you for the next trip or someone who might be going down later.

You're not really "screwed," to quote one of the posters.  I've been vactioning in Mexico for 20 years, and can affirm that one CAN find decent beers there.

Negra Modelo , one of the few authentic Vienna Lager styles still brewed in the world, can be found everywhere.  For more of a hoppy bite, you can have Bohemia, a Czech-pils style.  If you're ever there around Christmastime, look for Noche Bueno, a seasonal with higher alcohol and taste. 

When in Cancun, take a cab over to a WalMart-owned grocery store I believe is named Jumbo Mart, or something like that.  It'll be a $25 round-trip cab ride from the hotel zone, but worth it for a beer lover, and the cabbie will wait for you.  It's just North of the airport.  They stock numerous Belgians, English ales, and other European imports.