Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Braggot?  (Read 179 times)

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
Braggot?
« on: May 12, 2024, 08:25:09 am »
At what percentage of the fermentables does a "honey beer" become a braggot? 25%, 33%, 50%?
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline John M

• Assistant Brewer
Re: Braggot?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2024, 09:37:03 am »
I'm not seeing where the style guideline calls it out. It says "A Braggot is a mead made with both honey and malt providing flavor and fermentable extract. Originally, and alternatively, a mixture of mead and ale."

Don't judge a beer by it's cover.

BJCP "Recognized" - Aspiring to Certified
Ohio Valley Homebrewers Association

Offline Drewch

• Brewmaster
  • Just this guy, you know?
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2024, 09:49:44 am »

I've often wondered this too.

And do you measure by the contribution of sugars or by weight of the ingredients?  A pound of honey has a very different sugar contribution from a pound of malt.
The Other Drew

Home fermentations since 2019.

Member at large of the Central Alabama Brewers Society, the League of Drews, and the Veterans of Foreign Wars.

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2024, 02:21:08 pm »
At what percentage of the fermentables does a "honey beer" become a braggot? 25%, 33%, 50%?

27.6%

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2024, 04:19:03 pm »
That’s a great question. Can a Honey Brown Ale be an Alt Sugar Beer or a Braggot?

One day, you’ll wake up and there won’t be anymore time to do the things you’ve always wanted to do. Don’t wait. Do it now.

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2024, 08:01:56 am »
This seems to be a resurrected style that doesn't really have any modern guidelines. I have read that back in the day tavern owners might mix mead and ale as it was being served.
I have mostly run into Braggot in the context of mead rather than beer and so had the impression that it is very honey forward. I personally think of the percentages of honey vs malt in percentage of fermentables rather than in pounds because of the vast difference in weight vs sugar.
I have a Braggot on tap now that is about 50% honey and 50% malt as fermentables. It is 6% abv which I don't think is typical, Ithink highr abv is more common, so I think of it as a "Session Braggot" or "Hydrobraggot". At 50% fermentables from honey and the rest something like 44% munich and 6% 50-60 crystal it is very honey forward but there is enough malt presence that it drinks like a beer.
I don't think you need 50% fermentables from honey to call it a braggot but in my mind it needs to be honey forward as opposed to a beer with honey notes. I am guessing that would usually be north of 30% but would depend a little bit on the grain bill and assertiveness of the honey used.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2024, 10:40:28 am »
If a braggot is a mead, then the mead pedants will shun you if you use less than 50.0000001% honey as your source of fermentables. I'm in a few mead groups around the socials, and it's pretty wild how offended some of them get.  ::)

For the more pragmatic, I think it depends on how it tastes. In a braggot, the honey should be the (or one of the) predominant flavor characters. Otherwise, it's just a honey beer.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer