Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Been on the hunt for WHY I occasionally get a contaminated brew!  (Read 842 times)

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Been on the hunt for WHY I occasionally get a contaminated brew!
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2024, 12:18:25 pm »
I use milkstone remover as well.

One day, you’ll wake up and there won’t be anymore time to do the things you’ve always wanted to do. Don’t wait. Do it now.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2024, 06:33:15 am »
I would argue that if you are getting infections it isn't because something hasn't been sanitized, rather something isn't getting cleaned. You can't sanitize something that is dirty. And sanitization is just an extra precaution. You could take your chances and rack a wort into a clean fermenter that hasn't been sanitized and most likely it will be fine. You can't say the same thing about a dirty fermenter.

Online pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2024, 08:15:06 am »
I would argue that if you are getting infections it isn't because something hasn't been sanitized, rather something isn't getting cleaned. You can't sanitize something that is dirty. And sanitization is just an extra precaution. You could take your chances and rack a wort into a clean fermenter that hasn't been sanitized and most likely it will be fine. You can't say the same thing about a dirty fermenter.
I agree 100% with this and would add that a couple places I try to pay special attention to are spigots on fermenters and racking cane and tubing. They both need to be taken apart to clean and racking cane set ups should be replaced fairly regularly.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2024, 08:37:14 am by pete b »
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline Kevin

• Brewmaster
  • Great beer. Less work. More fun.
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2024, 08:41:26 am »

Applause, applause, applause!
“He was a wise man who invented beer.”
- Plato

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2024, 10:38:38 am »

Applause, applause, applause!
Agree, agree, agree!

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline brewthru

• Brewer
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2024, 04:01:08 pm »
Hi Everyone -

I've brewed for years and always thought of cleanliness as THE most important ingredient.  No matter how studious (eg dismantle valves, thorough use of Star San) once in a while I get a contaminated beer from some microorganism.

I JUST learned that the Star San site says to use their product within an hour!  They say, "Star San is an EPA registered sanitizer and must be used immediately. We do not recommend using it if has been in solution longer than an hour."

THERE's my culprit!  I've saved Star San in mixture from one brew to the next, usually changing out wfter two brew projects.  I further read on their site that Star San converts to sugar (thus the reason it is not harmful to us humans). 

I've been sanitizing with sugar water!

I just wanted to share to save others from the same problem!

I haven't read thru all of the replies. However, in my own experience, I'd recommend checking all values and any adapters. Years ago, I bought a Blickmann fermenter from another homebrewer for a, IMO, crazy low price. I asked them, "OK, what's the catch?". They honestly replied, "All of my batches are infected.". While we quaffed a few at a brewpub I quizzed the seller as to what was causing the infection. I had some clues. Paid him for the Blickmann fermenter and ran away like he*l before he changed his mind.

Arriving home with the Blickmann fermenter I do a complete tear down. Remove all of the ball valves and barbs. My plan is to take apart all of the ball values, inspect, definitely clean or replace as needed. However, it was immediately apparent the cause of the infections. A nylon barb on one of the valves. The nylon barb was filled with mold! Wasn't easy to see while still attached with to the ball valve. I quickly threw the nylon barb and ball valve into the trash outside. I installed a new ball valve and a new stainless barb and have had zero problems since. I've now had the fermenter for 8 years without problems. Recently brewed a cream ale in the fermenter. Of course I had to sample before cold crashing. Yum.

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2024, 07:05:32 pm »
Hi Everyone -

I've brewed for years and always thought of cleanliness as THE most important ingredient.  No matter how studious (eg dismantle valves, thorough use of Star San) once in a while I get a contaminated beer from some microorganism.

I JUST learned that the Star San site says to use their product within an hour!  They say, "Star San is an EPA registered sanitizer and must be used immediately. We do not recommend using it if has been in solution longer than an hour."

THERE's my culprit!  I've saved Star San in mixture from one brew to the next, usually changing out wfter two brew projects.  I further read on their site that Star San converts to sugar (thus the reason it is not harmful to us humans). 

I've been sanitizing with sugar water!

I just wanted to share to save others from the same problem!

I haven't read thru all of the replies. However, in my own experience, I'd recommend checking all values and any adapters. Years ago, I bought a Blickmann fermenter from another homebrewer for a, IMO, crazy low price. I asked them, "OK, what's the catch?". They honestly replied, "All of my batches are infected.". While we quaffed a few at a brewpub I quizzed the seller as to what was causing the infection. I had some clues. Paid him for the Blickmann fermenter and ran away like he*l before he changed his mind.

Arriving home with the Blickmann fermenter I do a complete tear down. Remove all of the ball valves and barbs. My plan is to take apart all of the ball values, inspect, definitely clean or replace as needed. However, it was immediately apparent the cause of the infections. A nylon barb on one of the valves. The nylon barb was filled with mold! Wasn't easy to see while still attached with to the ball valve. I quickly threw the nylon barb and ball valve into the trash outside. I installed a new ball valve and a new stainless barb and have had zero problems since. I've now had the fermenter for 8 years without problems. Recently brewed a cream ale in the fermenter. Of course I had to sample before cold crashing. Yum.

thats a great story, and with a lot of things - it is simply a matter of carefully stripping it down as much as possible and finding the problem part, replacing, cleaning or fixing it and putting it back together.

im actually going to attempt to do that to a tv having issues soon, just following a google guide to replace i think a capacitor in it.

there is no need for throwaway culture.

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2024, 07:40:45 am »
….

+1. I get self satisfaction when I fix stuff myself.

Offline John M

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2024, 08:01:03 am »
The only time I ever had "off" beers was the year after I started brewing, and wasn't cleaning my plate chiller properly. Took a few batches to learn this the hard way. I eventually discovered that my plate chiller stunk! I still use a plate chiller, and haven't had any issues since.
Don't judge a beer by it's cover.

BJCP "Recognized" - Aspiring to Certified
Ohio Valley Homebrewers Association
Favorite Styles- German Lagers & Ales, Belgians of all kinds, Adjunct Stouts, SHV Beers, Barleywines/Old Ales

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2024, 09:14:02 am »
….

Me, too, but tiny surface-mount components make it nearly impossible for an individual to diagnose and replace parts at home.
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's

Offline Drewch

• Brewmaster
  • Just this guy, you know?
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2024, 12:01:26 pm »
….

Me, too, but tiny surface-mount components make it nearly impossible for an individual to diagnose and replace parts at home.

That and custom molded plastic components that aren't available aftermarket (or cost as much as the unit)....
The Other Drew

Home fermentations since 2019.

Member at large of the Central Alabama Brewers Society and the League of Drews.