Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Step mashing and using melanoidin malt  (Read 562 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Step mashing and using melanoidin malt
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2024, 12:35:41 pm »
i just got a massive dose of melanoidin in an andechs doppelbock last night. my mental note to replicate that, is going to be:

1. use munich malt 15 to 50% depending on what im aiming for
2. consider using menaloidin malt again for the first time in forever, probably 2 to 3%
3. drain off additional 15% of volume by adding more water to mash, then boiling that hard in a separate pot while the main boil is on and adding that in.
4. 60 min+ boil when im generally doing 40 to 45 mins these days.

i think thats about it.
I'd start with step 1 on its own, and make it Munich 2 malt. I've never gotten the flavor of Melanoiden malt from any German lagers. You can have too much of a good thing when it comes to melanoiden character (at least to my palate). Dark Munich malt usually does plenty without crossing that line.

Good advice. One step at a time. And agreed on melanoidin in European beers.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2024, 08:39:30 am »
I'm happily retired. Decoction and step mashing sound too much like work to me. 😁
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2024, 09:06:45 am »
i just got a massive dose of melanoidin in an andechs doppelbock last night. my mental note to replicate that, is going to be:

2. consider using menaloidin malt again for the first time in forever, probably 2 to 3%
3. drain off additional 15% of volume by adding more water to mash, then boiling that hard in a separate pot while the main boil is on and adding that in.

i think thats about it.
I'd start with step 1 on its own, and make it Munich 2 malt. I've never gotten the flavor of Melanoiden malt from any German lagers. You can have too much of a good thing when it comes to melanoiden character (at least to my palate). Dark Munich malt usually does plenty without crossing that line.
One can try to locate even darker Munich malts. Both Avangard and Durst have 40 EBC Munich malt, which is 14.7 Lovibond.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2024, 12:02:43 am »

i think thats about it.
One can try to locate even darker Munich malts. Both Avangard and Durst have 40 EBC Munich malt, which is 14.7 Lovibond.
I haven't used it yet, but I got some 15L Munich from Murphy & Rude malting this past week that I'm looking forward to trying out in a Dunkel sometime soon. It was cool to see a craft maltster that offers a direct-to-homebrewer online storefront.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer