Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Kettle Questin Beginner  (Read 4278 times)

Offline olcurt

• 1st Kit
Re: Kettle Questin Beginner
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2010, 07:00:48 pm »
ok...now for 5 gallon batches like
I will make, is it worth it to go copper? I like being unique,  but if there is an advantae to the brew being in stainless or aluminum, it would be silly not to do that!

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2010, 07:23:32 pm »
ok...now for 5 gallon batches like
I will make, is it worth it to go copper? I like being unique,  but if there is an advantae to the brew being in stainless or aluminum, it would be silly not to do that!

Guess it depends on how much uniqueness is worth to you.  Ten gallons is the perfect size for five gallon batches and, from poking around a bit, it looks like ten gallon copper kettles start around $400.  You can get a sandwich bottom stainless ten gallon kettle for $100.
Joe

Offline Mark G

• Brewmaster
  • Huntley, IL
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2010, 07:51:29 am »
I use aluminum for my kettle. Boil water in it for 30 minutes or so, and you'll have an oxide layer that withstands all but the toughest scrubbing. Check this one out: http://www.foodservicewarehouse.com/update-international/apt-40/p4857.aspx, 10 gallons for 40 bucks. It's what I use, and it's heavy gauge aluminum, sturdier than most SS kettles I've seen. I could drop it from my second story windows and I'd be surprised if it even dented.
Mark Gres

Offline olcurt

• 1st Kit
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2010, 09:32:27 am »
I LIKE that kettle. If I went with weldless bulkheads/valve setups should I use a stainless or brass with this aluminum pot?

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2010, 10:21:32 am »
I LIKE that kettle. If I went with weldless bulkheads/valve setups should I use a stainless or brass with this aluminum pot?

I went with stainless on my aluminum kettle. Noticed a little bi-metal corrosion where the nut pressed against the bulkhead- so put another o-ring on the inside. Seems to have solved the problem for now.

You'll need to pickle brass before it's first use.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline 1vertical

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Ozone Layer. Actual location
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2010, 11:35:53 pm »
IMO aluminum would make a fine HLT....just IMO...
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.