Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Cutting a hole in my kettle  (Read 7200 times)

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
Re: Cutting a hole in my kettle
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2010, 07:48:36 pm »
I use high tech lubricant when I cut....

Perfect.  I think I can handle that  ;)
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline tygo

• Sterling, VA
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2010, 07:39:31 pm »
So my 18V cordless drill was not up to the task.  The step bit worked great up until I got to about 7/16 inches and then didn't have the torque to continue.  Looks like I've got the positioning perfectly though.  My dad is coming down this weekend for the kid's birthday party and bringing drill reinforcements so I think I'll be able to finish the project then.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline dhacker

• Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2010, 05:25:50 am »
So my 18V cordless drill was not up to the task.  The step bit worked great up until I got to about 7/16 inches and then didn't have the torque to continue.

Really?? I'm VERY surprised. I used an old 12v Makita cordless to step drill holes in my 10 gallon Polarware pot, and it didn't hesitate to bore right through.
Just brew it...

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2010, 06:10:07 am »
So my 18V cordless drill was not up to the task.  The step bit worked great up until I got to about 7/16 inches and then didn't have the torque to continue.

Really?? I'm VERY surprised. I used an old 12v Makita cordless to step drill holes in my 10 gallon Polarware pot, and it didn't hesitate to bore right through.
Kinda sounds like he was out of battery.  'Happens to me a lot with cordless drills and rechargeable stuff.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline tygo

• Sterling, VA
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2010, 06:13:49 am »

Kinda sounds like he was out of battery.  'Happens to me a lot with cordless drills and rechargeable stuff.

Even with a full charge it didn't work.  Just doesn't have enough torque.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2010, 10:21:27 am »

Even with a full charge it didn't work.  Just doesn't have enough torque.
I don't know about your drill, but my DeWalt lets you set the torque so you don't put your screws too deeply into boards.  If you set it to the "drill" setting then it will use all of the torque available.  At times when drilling the bit will just stop while the motor whines a bit.  If I crank it up to drill then it works fine.

Maybe that's not the problem, but it's worth a check anyway.   :)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline tygo

• Sterling, VA
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2010, 11:10:18 am »
Yeah, I've got variable settings on mine as well.  I had to ramp it up through the settings as the hole got bigger but I'm at the max setting now and it still jams up.  It's a black and decker cordless.  It works well for general household drilling tasks and drives the grainmill just fine.  I just don't think it's quite up to this particular task.
Clint
Wort Hogs

narvin

« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2010, 07:51:27 pm »
Are you pushing too hard?  I drilled a hole in my 20 gallon kettle with my 12 volt cordless Black and Decker and a step bit I got online for 10 bucks.  The drill would occasionally sieze up, but reversing and pressing gently would get it going again.  Let the tool do the work!

Offline tygo

• Sterling, VA
« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2010, 08:06:16 pm »
I don't think so.  That technique worked to get me where I'm at now.  But I've tried multiple times now with a fully charged drill and varying levels of pressure.  This is a really heavy duty kettle.  It's heavy as hell.  My 10 gallon pot is stainless steel but pretty thin.  I could drill a 1.5 inch hole in that thing no problem.  I'm pretty sure I've just hit the max torque for my drill.  We'll see this weekend when I try it with a more powerful corded drill.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2010, 08:08:09 pm by tygo »
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline tygo

• Sterling, VA
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2010, 10:23:53 pm »
And done:

Thanks to everyone who provided guidance.  The new kettle gets thrown into the fire on Monday for a double brew day.

« Last Edit: November 10, 2010, 10:28:27 pm by tygo »
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2010, 10:47:33 pm »
And done:

Thanks to everyone who provided guidance.  The new kettle gets thrown into the fire on Monday for a double brew day.

Looks good!
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2010, 05:55:05 am »
Nice work tygo.  Looks great!

I have to do the same thing to three Blichmann kettles for my new brewstand.
This thread has been reassuring.
Ron Price