Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Baja (CellarScience) Experience Thread  (Read 1164 times)

Offline saaz amore

• Cellarman
  • When your beer has a smell like a Pilsner Urquell
Re: Baja (CellarScience) Experience Thread
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2024, 12:59:48 am »
I seem to recall reading that the Cellar Science yeast might come from AEB. That's all I'm gonna say about that.

https://www.aeb-group.com/us/beer

Offline John M

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2024, 05:08:35 pm »
I am a fan of Cellar Science yeast, in general. The price is right, and it makes good beer for me. I haven't tried the Baja yet. Does anyone know if they actually have their own independent lab? Or is produced by another familiar lab and repackaged?
Over at HomeBrewTalk, it was mentioned that CellarScience is a trademark held by MoreFlavor /1/. 

If the price is right and it makes good beer, does the original lab and/or repackaging matter? 

------------------------

eta: I appreciate those who pursue the science [without economics] behind the the strains of yeast that we use.

------------------------

/1/ https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/apex-san-diego-wtf.731899/#post-10360004
No, doesn't make a lick of difference to me. Just curious..
Don't judge a beer by it's cover.

BJCP "Recognized" - Aspiring to Certified
Ohio Valley Homebrewers Association

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2024, 08:22:03 am »
I made an SNS starter with this Omega yeast on Tuesday afternoon.  My weekend is flexible enough where I could brew Friday evening, Saturday or Sunday depending on when the starter looks active.  As a backup I did some homework that I believe had already been done by someone else here but the description below suggests this *IS* a dry version of Modelo's yeast which is what I'm looking for.  I believe my sense of smell will verify this one way or another so if the starter does not wake up, I will use two packs of Baja instead.

Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2024, 08:16:00 am »
Overnight Thursday into Friday my starter kicked in.  This morning there was some foam and it seems to be in good shape.  The starter liquid from the pouch appeared good and the aroma coming from the starter is very nice.  So about 2½ days for a year-old (year+) starter to be resurrected.  I'm going to brew this evening and make a simple beer .. 65% Avangard Pils and 35% Swaen Munich 2 (8L), Magnum and Hallertau Mittelfruh hops, Omega 113.  5%, SRM 6, IBU 24.
Ken from Chicago. 

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2024, 08:50:42 am »
Overnight Thursday into Friday my starter kicked in.  This morning there was some foam and it seems to be in good shape.  The starter liquid from the pouch appeared good and the aroma coming from the starter is very nice.  So about 2½ days for a year-old (year+) starter to be resurrected.  I'm going to brew this evening and make a simple beer .. 65% Avangard Pils and 35% Swaen Munich 2 (8L), Magnum and Hallertau Mittelfruh hops, Omega 113.  5%, SRM 6, IBU 24.

I was selfishly rooting against it!  I really wanted you to try Baja and hear your take on it.   It is the "Baja experience thread" after all!  ;D

j/k 
Glad your starter came to!

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2024, 09:08:39 am »

I was selfishly rooting against it!  I really wanted you to try Baja and hear your take on it.   It is the "Baja experience thread" after all!  ;D

j/k 
Glad your starter came to!
My plan of attack was that if this thing didn't wake up and it was Sunday .. I was going to brew Sunday and pitch Baja.  At some point I realized that asking the board to tell me if Baja was indeed 940/113 was a long reach.  Many brewers don't make lagers and when they do, how many brew with 940?  It's possible that no one really knows.  I have brewed with 940 many, many times and I also drink Victoria and Modelo on a regular basis so I know the character.  If I had brewed with Baja, I would be able to tell if it was 940 or not.  I already have SIX recipes drawn up for this 113 so .. it'll be awhile.  :D
Ken from Chicago.