Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Drip hopping - new hopping technique!  (Read 361 times)

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
Drip hopping - new hopping technique!
« on: April 01, 2024, 05:27:23 pm »
There are many hopping techniques for beer these days: first wort hops, whirlpool hops, dry hops, dip hops, etc. Now from the land of Down Under, the source of many innovations in homebrewing, comes a combination of dry hopping and dip hopping called drip hopping. Dip hopping is done before fermentation and dry hopping is usually done after fermentation. Drip hopping gives you the best of both worlds by continuously infusing the beer with hops before, during and after fermentation. A small amount of the fermenting beer is pumped up and allowed to drain slowly through a mesh container of hops, dripping gently back into the main volume, just like the pour-over coffee that baristas make. The increased surface area and short dwell time mean that the beer can extract just the compounds we want in our beer without getting the undesirables. A rotating tray containing multiple hop charges allows fresh hops to be introduced periodically, as the extraction is completed. By pumping beer from the bottom and dripping it back into the top you are sure to have hoppiness evenly distributed throughout your batch. Drip hopping requires a bit of extra equipment and setup, but once running it takes care of itself. The only drawback to the technique is that it only works one day a year – April Fools’ Day!
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Drip hopping - new hopping technique!
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2024, 06:35:02 pm »
There are many hopping techniques for beer these days: first wort hops, whirlpool hops, dry hops, dip hops, etc. Now from the land of Down Under, the source of many innovations in homebrewing, comes a combination of dry hopping and dip hopping called drip hopping. Dip hopping is done before fermentation and dry hopping is usually done after fermentation. Drip hopping gives you the best of both worlds by continuously infusing the beer with hops before, during and after fermentation. A small amount of the fermenting beer is pumped up and allowed to drain slowly through a mesh container of hops, dripping gently back into the main volume, just like the pour-over coffee that baristas make. The increased surface area and short dwell time mean that the beer can extract just the compounds we want in our beer without getting the undesirables. A rotating tray containing multiple hop charges allows fresh hops to be introduced periodically, as the extraction is completed. By pumping beer from the bottom and dripping it back into the top you are sure to have hoppiness evenly distributed throughout your batch. Drip hopping requires a bit of extra equipment and setup, but once running it takes care of itself. The only drawback to the technique is that it only works one day a year – April Fools’ Day!

lol nice, but i actually tried this and it does work. this isnt a joke, it extracts more flavour compounds

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2024, 09:26:36 am »
That happened to me once before with an April Fools' Day post. I came up with what I though was a really stupid idea, only to find that it was a real product for sale. In this case I just liked combining the words dry and dip into drip and went from there.
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2024, 10:00:20 am »
Good one! Not quite as good as when I suggested using sea monkeys instead of aeration--but pretty good.  ;D

Offline chinaski

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2024, 04:56:16 pm »
Maybe next year choose another 4 letter word that starts with d...

Yuck.

Offline saaz amore

• Cellarman
  • When your beer has a smell like a Pilsner Urquell
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2024, 05:09:08 am »
That happened to me once before with an April Fools' Day post. I came up with what I though was a really stupid idea, only to find that it was a real product for sale. In this case I just liked combining the words dry and dip into drip and went from there.

https://www.sapporobeer.jp/news_release/0000016399/ (use your browser's translation function)
« Last Edit: April 05, 2024, 05:13:49 am by saaz amore »