Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Maillard Reactions  (Read 340 times)

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
Maillard Reactions
« on: April 12, 2024, 06:28:50 am »
Way back in the day I made a full 5 gallon batch of pilsner malt wort and pressure canned it to use for starters. Of course it had a great pilsner color out of the tun, and it was boiled for a while as well. I remember canning such a large batch was a bit of a chore and the wort was notably darker after canning. I used it for many batches and then eventually lost the jars in boxes in the garage. Well while preparing for a Yard Sale I found the remaining jars. The wort now appeared to be a porter from Maillard Reactions. The seal on all the lids was still intact and even the trub in the bottom of the jar was brown. Unfortunately no photos were taken.

As the wort was discarded down the drain I feared I was going to have to scrub the mason jars to get them clean. I brushed enough to get the large accumulation of sediment off the bottom and put them in the dishwasher. After a single cycle everything was sparkling clean.

I'm thinking when I start brewing at the new house I might make an extra gallon or so of wort and pressure can it for starters. Making an entire batch is too much work and too many jars. At least I know my process way back when was sound. My best guess is that batch of wort was made over 20 years ago.
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
Re: Maillard Reactions
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2024, 07:05:19 am »
This might work as long as you're killing the botulism spores by boiling under pressure above 240 F.  Without that I'd be concerned about saving the wort for any prolonged period as the pH of wort is too high, allowing botulism to take hold, which is very dangerous and in some cases can kill you.

Kind of interesting though that a pilsner wort darkens so much with oxidation and/or age.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline Kevin

• Brewmaster
  • Great beer. Less work. More fun.
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2024, 09:49:07 am »
My pressure canner holds 7 quart jars per batch and I will make and can 1 to 1.5 gallons at a time which is plenty enough to last several months with my brewing schedule. I find myself making and canning 1 batch of wort maybe twice a year which is less work and leads to less waste.
“He was a wise man who invented beer.”
- Plato

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2024, 08:46:48 pm »
making a starter is a slight annoyance but tbh ive had really good results with minimal effort:

-1 litre water set aside ahead of time for 24 hours
-add 100g DME to water in a small pot and boil for 10 mins
-cool a bit and pour into a 1 gallon glass carboy.
-add yeast when its cool and shake it around a lot

takes about 15 mins active time

Offline Kevin

• Brewmaster
  • Great beer. Less work. More fun.
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2024, 06:47:18 am »
making a starter is a slight annoyance but tbh ive had really good results with minimal effort:

Sounds like the shaken not stirred method. The shaking should happen before you add the yeast to avoid shear stress which is detrimental to yeast cell wall health.
“He was a wise man who invented beer.”
- Plato

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2024, 07:33:33 am »

Pressure canning a single set of jars would be a cinch and is likely what I will do the next time I brew. Think of it as 15 minutes every time for a starter or pressure canning off to the side while I boil and cool the wort so really no additional time.
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2024, 08:11:57 am »

Sounds like the shaken not stirred method. The shaking should happen before you add the yeast to avoid shear stress which is detrimental to yeast cell wall health.

Seems like there should be little to no shear stress from shaking
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2024, 02:20:36 pm »
I have to admit, being lazy, that I have taken a liking to the canned wort that is now available.