General Category > All Grain Brewing

First all grain batch

(1/3) > >>

dano14041:
I am going to be doing my first all grain batch Sat. The recipe and process I plan to follow are below. Any suggestions or tips would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Dano

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Fuller's ESB Clone BYO-AG
Brewer: Dano
Asst Brewer:
Style: Extra Special/Strong Bitter (English Pale Ale)
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.00 gal     
Boil Size: 6.66 gal
Estimated OG: 1.060 SG
Estimated Color: 11.4 SRM
Estimated IBU: 38.1 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 65.00 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount        Item                                      Type         % or IBU     
9 lbs 2.0 oz  Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM)          Grain        74.49 %       
2 lbs         Corn, Flaked (1.3 SRM)                    Grain        16.33 %       
1 lbs 2.0 oz  Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM)     Grain        9.18 %       
0.34 oz       Challenger [7.50 %]  (60 min)             Hops         11.4 IBU     
0.53 oz       Target [10.00 %]  (60 min)                Hops         23.7 IBU     
0.33 oz       Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %]  (15 min)    Hops         2.0 IBU       
0.10 oz       Northdown [8.50 %]  (15 min)              Hops         1.0 IBU       
0.25 oz       Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min)                Misc                       
0.25 tsp      Yeast Nutrient (Primary 3.0 days)         Misc                       
1 Pkgs        London ESB Ale (Wyeast Labs #1968) [StarteYeast-Ale                 

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Full Body
Total Grain Weight: 12.25 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Full Body
Step Time     Name               Description                         Step Temp     
60 min        Mash In            Add 15.00 qt of water at 166.2 F    154.0 F       
5 min         Mash Out           Add 6.13 qt of water at 207.4 F     168.0 F       
Sparge with 2.85 gal of 168.0 F water.

tygo:
On the recipe side that seems like a bit much crystal to me.  I try to keep mine to about 5%.

On the process are you sure you're only going to lose 1.66 gallons in a 90 minute boil?  That's about 1.1 gallons per hour of boil off.  If you've tested that on your system then that's cool but it seems like it might be a bit low to me.  Granted I'm speaking from my experiences from my gigantically wide kettle and yours I'm sure is different.  Just something to consider.

dak0415:
Your recipe looks pretty tasty as it is, but if you are looking for a Fullers clone:

Loose  the flaked corn and drop your mash temp to 150-151.  I personally use 1.25# of crystal in a 10 gal batch, then add some chocolate malt to adjust for color(11-12srm).  If you really want to be authentic, use only target for the bittering then 3IBU Challenger, 3IBU Northdown and 1IBU Goldings at 15-20 minutes, then dry hop with 1oz of Goldings in secondary.   Also add some Gypsum to burtonize your water to about 100ppm sufate (maybe 1tbs?).

My $.02

bluesman:
I would remove the flaked corn and adjust with base malt.  I use Northern Brewer for bittering and EKG's for flavor but your hop selection will work fine.  Ferment in the low to mid sixties.

cheba420:

--- Quote from: tygo on October 07, 2010, 08:54:11 PM ---On the recipe side that seems like a bit much crystal to me.  I try to keep mine to about 5%.

On the process are you sure you're only going to lose 1.66 gallons in a 90 minute boil?  That's about 1.1 gallons per hour of boil off.  If you've tested that on your system then that's cool but it seems like it might be a bit low to me.  Granted I'm speaking from my experiences from my gigantically wide kettle and yours I'm sure is different.  Just something to consider.

--- End quote ---

Couldn't agree more. You will most likely lose a lot more than 1.66 G in a 90 minute boil.I lose that or more in a 60 minute boil! If you want 5 G in your fermenter, you'll need to start with more wort.

For the mash, pay close attention to your temps. It's kind of tricky to nail the right temp the first couple times. Have some extra water in your HLT and have some cool water at the ready as well in case you need to make temp adjustments in the Mash! Having it right there makes things easier and less stressful.

Good luck!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version