Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Nottingham Yeast and Wee Heavy  (Read 2758 times)

beveragebob

Nottingham Yeast and Wee Heavy
« on: October 03, 2010, 12:34:57 pm »
Although my award winning Wee Heavy Recipe(NCHF 1st Place 2007) uses WY1728 , my friend that owns High Desert Brewing Company here in Las Cruces, NM brought some of his Wee Heavy over and it was marvelous. I asked him about what yeast he used and it was Nottingham. I was blown away! I never realized how versatile this yeast is, I've used it in IPA's, DIS, etc. but, never thought of it in anything Scottish. My next Scottish brew will be using this.

Offline passlaku

• Assistant Brewer
Re: Nottingham Yeast and Wee Heavy
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2010, 01:43:46 pm »
What temp did he ferment at?  I have had mixed results with Nottingham.  I always find it very perfumey/musky. 

Offline bonjour

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Troy, MI, 37mi, 60.9deg AR
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2010, 02:58:28 pm »
Wee Heavy's should be fermented on the cool side.  Cool is the natural Temp in Scotland.  Nottingham is a yeast that performs very well at low temps, even into lager territory.

I'd suggest the low 60's, nothing more than 65F
Fred Bonjour
Co-Chair Mashing in Michigan 2014 AHA Conference in Grand Rapids, Michigan
AHA Governing Committee; AHA Conference, Club Support & Web Subcommittees

Everything under 1.100 is a 'session' beer ;)

Offline dhacker

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2010, 06:09:54 pm »
I have loved Nott for its versatility and reliability . . until the problem a year or so ago. It does not seem to be the same yeast. The visible attributes of a stiff krausen seem to have wained as well. I still keep some around for emergencies, but using it as a primary yeast is not going to happen as often as once upon a time . . .
Just brew it...

beveragebob

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2010, 04:46:24 pm »
dhacker, I wonder if you got a batch from the "bad lot" that was a recall a year or so ago. Underattenuative and possibly mutated. It was reported that the QC got away from them on a lot or two.

Offline dhacker

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2010, 06:14:40 pm »
Yeah Bob, I did get some bad packs the were recalled. The online store where I purchased it contacted me to send replacements or another strain . . my choice. I opted for US-05 instead. about a year later I tried it for my lawnmower beer. The beer turned out fine, but the yeast just did not quite seem to perform like the Nottingham of old.
Just brew it...

Offline dhacker

• Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2010, 12:52:10 pm »
BTW . . just read on another forum another Nottingham recall is on the way???

:-\
Just brew it...