Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Great Divide's Hercules Double IPA  (Read 1347 times)

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Great Divide's Hercules Double IPA
« on: October 09, 2010, 01:42:22 am »
Why isn't this a Barleywine? It's 10% alcohol and hoppy as hell. And, it tastes like a regular strength IPA so oh so dangerous... Can't even taste the alcohol. Sweet, earthy and bitter with a bold spicy hop taste and nose. Pretty highly carbonated, so the mouth-feel isn't cloying but refreshing.

Has little white floaters that look like crumbs. To me, this usually is a sign of infection but the flavor is fine; I can't imagine a 10% & 84 IBU beer being infected.

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
Re: Great Divide's Hercules Double IPA
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2010, 06:13:02 am »
The chunkies are probably yeast or proteins - enjoy the effects ;)

The interesting thing is breweries can call beers anything they desire. They could make a very nice Pilsner and call it a Mumbo Jumbo Flashdance Stout. Most people would think it was a stout, but no, it's a pilsner. There's no rules about naming the beer unless it has some ingredient such as Pumpkin or Coconut or spices and then it only comes into play with labeling laws.

I've often thought if I ever do own a brewery (note I said own, not be the brewer) I'll make a Torso Series of beers with names like Matt, Bob, Art and Phil...  ;)
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!