Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Droid phones? iPhones? Wifi?  (Read 3187 times)

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Droid phones? iPhones? Wifi?
« on: August 05, 2010, 01:04:02 am »
I'm interested in the mobile access point feature of some devices running Android or Windows Mobile. I could ditch my cable broadband. And my iPhone is just a plain PITA with ubuntu 10.04. However I could jailbreak the iPhone and do the same thing evidently. But I'd rather just get a new linux phone and sell the 3GS.

Any ideas about this? Plus what is this going to do to the cable broadband and DSL providers when it really takes off in a year or so?
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline captain_sousie

• Cellarman
  • I am the Stig's Fat American Cousin
Re: Droid phones? iPhones? Wifi?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2010, 01:19:46 pm »
Most companies charge a huge fee for data transfer over a set amount. Verizon's limit is only 5 gigs. Plus, it is a lot slower than traditional wifi networks run off of a cable modem or dsl.
Eagles may soar but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

Offline Robert

• Assistant Brewer
  • Arlington, TX
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2010, 01:22:51 pm »
If you end up selling the 3GS, use ebay. We sold our original 2G iPhones (mine was scatched to all heck) for $200 each about 4 months ago.
"In three things is a man revealed: in his wine goblet, in his purse, and in his wrath."

Offline glitterbug

• Assistant Brewer
  • dallas, tx
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2010, 02:44:55 pm »
It may work for you depending on what you do with your internet and how many people\devices are using it. Any gamers in the house? Video streamers? etc. I would definitely look into sprints 4g service.
A witty saying proves nothing - Voltaire

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2010, 07:13:39 pm »
No gamer's. I have an 8Mbit connection at home.

Just saw a colleague's HTC H2. Freaking thing is huge! This is the phone I want. Then load Droid on it.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2010, 05:27:21 pm »
Well, I've been researching the Samsung Galaxy S http://galaxys.samsungmobile.com/index.html?index=1

which is AT&T's Samsung Captivate http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/cell-phone-details/?device=Samsung+Captivate+%28TM%29+-+Black&q_sku=sku4760319#tabModule

Runs Android 2.1

Unfortunately, AT&T's disabled the tethering and the front camera. I'm not sure if it is software disabled or hardware. If it is software (cross fingers) I can flash the ROM.

Offline chaz

• Cellarman
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2010, 06:50:24 pm »
I'm pretty sure the Captivate's tethering woes are all software. I've been considering it as a replacement for my phone since my contract is almost up but want to wait a few months to see how the reviews still stack up.

Last week Samsung released the source code for the Captivate and it was already rooted before launch so it shouldn't be hard to tinker with. xda developers is a great forum for tweaking phones if you haven't seen it already.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2010, 06:52:34 pm by chaz »

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2010, 09:03:46 pm »
I'm pretty sure the Captivate's tethering woes are all software. I've been considering it as a replacement for my phone since my contract is almost up but want to wait a few months to see how the reviews still stack up.

Last week Samsung released the source code for the Captivate and it was already rooted before launch so it shouldn't be hard to tinker with. xda developers is a great forum for tweaking phones if you haven't seen it already.

Thank you so very much! ;D That much closer to getting the phone! Really, the tethering is the deal-maker. Make it or break it. I have to utilize this feature or it's all pointless... :'(

I really like the stability and web usage of the iPhone but it's actually a restrictive dumb-phone when not paying for apps or using iTunes.

I also have the OpenMoko Neo. It wasn't too bad to flash from Ubuntu, but the various OS's left a little to be desired. I gave up but kept it out of sentimentality.

Offline Chad Haatvedt

• 1st Kit
    • BorealBrewers
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2010, 10:07:15 am »
ATT Recently imposed a 2 gigabyte data limit.  The significant fees for going over that limit

The new version of android 2.2 allows tethering automatically.

I run the samsung moment m 900 and tethers.  Runs pretty well on sprints 3g network.  Unfortunately i live in a rural area and will not have access to the 4 g network for a long time.
There are 10 kinds of home brewers.  Those that understand binary, and those that don't.

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2010, 12:07:36 pm »
At the moment I have unlimited data. That's good to know if I ever change my rate plan. I see the overage is automatic $10 for each extra GB.

I use my phone alot and my bill reflects approx 150 Mbyte for the month. My lappy however, with loads of pages open and a constant connection will evidently chew through gigabytes in days. Will have to look into this.

Thanks again for updating me on the data plan change. Changes my "buying" approach. I won't be signing any new contracts unless it'll save me money in the long run, which is my overall intent.

Offline mnstorm99

• Cellarman
    • mnstorm99 Recipes
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2010, 07:35:09 am »
Look into the Sprint HTC EVO 4G (same size as the HD2), and the costs to run it compared to AT&T and Verizon.  The additional data plan is only $10 more per month and the mobile hotspot is an additional $30 (which I don't know how that compares).  I have this phone and have been very happy with it, although I am not using it as a hotspot.
*Tapped:
Peach/Raspberry Ale 4.5%/18IBU (6/6/10)
Golden Promise IPA (Keg #2) - 5.8%/73IBU (7/3/10)
Jason's Ball & Chain - 6.4%/63IBU (7/17/10)
All His Merry Men - 4.9%/23IBU (8/1/10)
Citra Amber Ale - 4.8%/23IBU (8/1/10)

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2010, 01:10:58 pm »
Ordered an unlocked Samsung Galaxy S i9000. Should be here in a few days. Did the research. Not enough evidently, but I got the gist of the phone off of xda-developers (thanks!).

I'm mainly interested in what the phone already brings to the table, access-point etc, but the option to root and flash the phone with custom ROMs remains a priority. Turns out to flash a Samsung device one still needs windows to run a program called "odin" even though the phone's running linux. Grrr.

Don't even have a copy of windows. Well now I do thanks to Piratebay. ;) Also installed Virtualbox and then installed an unattended-install stream-lined version of XP. Woo. I'm amazed at how well this works and how well XP runs in this environment.

Hopefully, will be hitting this site and others with my Samsung soon. Already have a buyer lined up for the iPhone 3gs 32g.

I'll get bored soon enough and switch phones again...

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2010, 03:27:52 am »
Update:

I also got a Captivate 10 days later. Rooted it. Works great except usb. That's broken. Hence no pics from me on the food threads...

I've been eating very well.  ::)

The xda forum is... well... insane. But as forums go I'm learning alot. LOL.

Despite it's glaring flaws this phone is pretty awesome. Beautiful screen. Decently responsive- fast even. Doesn't lock up. Reported lag is with web browser's primarily. Lot's of apps too through the market.

Tethering? Work in progress, though I had a 3Mb usb tethered connection until ATT "updated" my phone. >:( Screw them. I'm rooted. Incidentally, this is when my usb started going bad.

But I'm still open for ideas on a phone.

Offline rabid_dingo

• Brewmaster
  • Brighton, CO :D
    • Mile High Monks
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2010, 12:18:55 am »
Look into the Sprint HTC EVO 4G (same size as the HD2), and the costs to run it compared to AT&T and Verizon.  The additional data plan is only $10 more per month and the mobile hotspot is an additional $30 (which I don't know how that compares).  I have this phone and have been very happy with it, although I am not using it as a hotspot.
Too late for me to add anything but I have the EVO as well and love it. I have completely disregarded
my desire to get a laptop because of it. It is not a smart phone, its a pocket PC!
There is an app I think it is called PDAnet that lets you tether...I'll check and reply if it is different.
Ruben * Colorado :)