Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Store San?  (Read 5935 times)

Offline dirtyjerzey

• Cellarman
Store San?
« on: November 21, 2009, 06:59:42 am »
What are the effects of storing things IN Star San for extended periods?  I'm thinking mostly for things like auto-siphons and tubing that never really dry out completely or could retain some moisture and encourage mold, etc...

As much as I love Star San, I know it's an acid and worry about it eating away at things....

Thoughts??
 ???

"Life's short and hard, like a body building elf..." - BHG

Offline rep

• Cellarman
Re: Store San?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2009, 07:14:45 am »
What are the effects of storing things IN Star San for extended periods?  I'm thinking mostly for things like auto-siphons and tubing that never really dry out completely or could retain some moisture and encourage mold, etc...

As much as I love Star San, I know it's an acid and worry about it eating away at things....

Thoughts??
 ???

I don't know what might be long term storage, but I will store items for up to a week or so at times.  I tend to keep Star San handy at all times and will use it for many tasks.  I will rinse out my bottles in tap water and then soak them in Star San for a number of days until I have enough bottles to fill the bucket again.  I then drain and store the bottles for the future.
Wear Wool, Sit on Leather, Ride Lugged Steel

Offline dirtyjerzey

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2009, 08:51:33 am »
Time frame wouldn't be long...I would change the Star San between uses (1-2 weeks max) since I usually have to transfer something once a week (Pri, Sec, Keg)...I just wasn't sure if there were any ill effects from having prolonged exposure to plastic tubing, tap hoses, etc.

I too use Star San for just about everything, love the stuff....I have a great recipe for a chicken marinade!  ;D

Time to update my sig

"Life's short and hard, like a body building elf..." - BHG

Offline rep

• Cellarman
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2009, 09:13:44 am »
Time frame wouldn't be long...I would change the Star San between uses (1-2 weeks max) since I usually have to transfer something once a week (Pri, Sec, Keg)...I just wasn't sure if there were any ill effects from having prolonged exposure to plastic tubing, tap hoses, etc.

I too use Star San for just about everything, love the stuff....I have a great recipe for a chicken marinade!  ;D

Time to update my sig

The other thing that will happen is  you will begin to gather duplicates and triplicates of the equipment you use.  Soon you will have a number of air locks and you will rotate them through your brewing processes.  Therefore, each individual item will be exposed fewer times to long term contact.

I think though, some items may cloud.  Maybe somebody else will chime in on that.
Wear Wool, Sit on Leather, Ride Lugged Steel

Offline mtbrewer

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2009, 10:41:26 am »

I thought it would be a good idea as well. I left some airlocks and a few misc. items in my starsan bucket, it turned cloudy. On the other hand, my spray bottle, with the same solution was just fine. I can't say why, just my observation.

Offline tom

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2009, 10:46:59 am »
It can leave a soapy film on things sometimes.
Brew on

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2009, 10:55:31 am »
i left a bucket of star san on my stained concrete floor for about two weeks and there is a ring where the bucket sat.    other than that, i love star san....

i think the way you test star san to see if it's still good is to check the pH, although i forgot what the number is supposed to be.
Hoppy Homebrewers of South Mississippi (est. 2009)

AHA# 196703

bottled:     white house honey ale

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2009, 11:10:34 am »
i think the way you test star san to see if it's still good is to check the pH, although i forgot what the number is supposed to be.

pH should be 3 or less.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2009, 01:44:00 pm »
Another test is when it eats skin on my hands it is still good :D
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2009, 02:50:42 pm »

pH should be 3 or less.

thanks.  i knew it was 2 or 3, but couldn't rememeber which.

cheers.
Hoppy Homebrewers of South Mississippi (est. 2009)

AHA# 196703

bottled:     white house honey ale

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2009, 02:54:14 pm »

pH should be 3 or less.

thanks.  i knew it was 2 or 3, but couldn't rememeber which.

cheers.

Yeah 3 or less...here's the mfg's data sheet.

http://www.fivestarchemicals.com/tech/starsan.pdf
Ron Price

Offline cracklefish

• 1st Kit
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2009, 03:41:17 pm »
I make my starsan solution with distilled water because the local water clouds it up quickly. I have kept airlocks in the solution for a day or two but have no experience with tubing. The airlock was okay but I still felt like it wasn't a good idea? idk why really? Now though, I keep the starsan in the gallon jugs in the garage. Cold or hot they do fine and test below 3 for months. I have had my bottle of starsan for way too long. I have noticed that if I use the solution on something and then let it dry it gets a strange film on it so I always rinse everything. Tubing will dry if you swing it around to force the water out and then hang it somewhere for a day or two.

It has never eaten through the gallon jugs in the garage.
I'm under attenuated on you

Offline stout_fan

• Cellarman
  • Winner: Least original Avatar
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2009, 06:16:27 am »
...Yeah 3 or less...here's the mfg's data sheet.
It used to be 2.4. Looks like they lowered the concentration.
I'd say something witty down here, but I'm at a bit of a disadvantage in that department.

Offline nyakavt

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2009, 08:52:33 am »
Plastic racking tubing does get cloudy if you leave it in star san for a couple of days.  No big deal.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2009, 09:46:33 am »
...Yeah 3 or less...here's the mfg's data sheet.
It used to be 2.4. Looks like they lowered the concentration.

Really?  I don't recall it ever being 2.4, but that doesn't mean it wasn't!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell