General Category > General Homebrew Discussion

Store San?

(1/4) > >>

dirtyjerzey:
What are the effects of storing things IN Star San for extended periods?  I'm thinking mostly for things like auto-siphons and tubing that never really dry out completely or could retain some moisture and encourage mold, etc...

As much as I love Star San, I know it's an acid and worry about it eating away at things....

Thoughts??
 ???

rep:

--- Quote from: dirtyjerzey on November 21, 2009, 06:59:42 AM ---What are the effects of storing things IN Star San for extended periods?  I'm thinking mostly for things like auto-siphons and tubing that never really dry out completely or could retain some moisture and encourage mold, etc...

As much as I love Star San, I know it's an acid and worry about it eating away at things....

Thoughts??
 ???

--- End quote ---

I don't know what might be long term storage, but I will store items for up to a week or so at times.  I tend to keep Star San handy at all times and will use it for many tasks.  I will rinse out my bottles in tap water and then soak them in Star San for a number of days until I have enough bottles to fill the bucket again.  I then drain and store the bottles for the future.

dirtyjerzey:
Time frame wouldn't be long...I would change the Star San between uses (1-2 weeks max) since I usually have to transfer something once a week (Pri, Sec, Keg)...I just wasn't sure if there were any ill effects from having prolonged exposure to plastic tubing, tap hoses, etc.

I too use Star San for just about everything, love the stuff....I have a great recipe for a chicken marinade!  ;D

Time to update my sig

rep:

--- Quote from: dirtyjerzey on November 21, 2009, 08:51:33 AM ---Time frame wouldn't be long...I would change the Star San between uses (1-2 weeks max) since I usually have to transfer something once a week (Pri, Sec, Keg)...I just wasn't sure if there were any ill effects from having prolonged exposure to plastic tubing, tap hoses, etc.

I too use Star San for just about everything, love the stuff....I have a great recipe for a chicken marinade!  ;D

Time to update my sig

--- End quote ---

The other thing that will happen is  you will begin to gather duplicates and triplicates of the equipment you use.  Soon you will have a number of air locks and you will rotate them through your brewing processes.  Therefore, each individual item will be exposed fewer times to long term contact.

I think though, some items may cloud.  Maybe somebody else will chime in on that.

mtbrewer:

I thought it would be a good idea as well. I left some airlocks and a few misc. items in my starsan bucket, it turned cloudy. On the other hand, my spray bottle, with the same solution was just fine. I can't say why, just my observation.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version