Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Keggle False Bottom  (Read 11366 times)

Offline jimbo44

• Cellarman
Keggle False Bottom
« on: October 10, 2010, 10:00:21 pm »
Alright forum.  I have a two tier Rims system with 10" false bottoms on my mash tun and boil kettle.  Both are keggles.  The false bottoms are filled with 3/32 holes (prefab.)  I'm looking for something that will completely cover the the bottom of the keggle just where it starts to curve in.  Then I'll place my pick up tube in the middle.  This would make a 15" false bottom with hinges so it can fit through the keggle hole in the top.  I've seen examples of this and even found them on the sabco page.  I'm a chronic do it yourselfer and I already have the pick up tubes in place so I would like to make the false bottoms work with the pickup tubes I have.  I would like to hear about and see your keggle false bottoms.  Also, would love some pointers on where to find supplies and how you made your own.  The problem with the 10" false bottom is that it sits in the middle of the bottom of the keggle.  This allows for grains to filter around the edges because of the curvature.  It even does it when I use a hose clamp to really push the false bottom to the keggle.  Thanks in advance.
"The problem with the world is that everyone is a few drinks behind."
-Humphrey Bogart

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Keggle False Bottom
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2010, 07:54:50 am »
I have the 10' false bottom on my mash tun keg and have never had any problem with grain getting around it, at least nothing a 3 or 4 gallon vorlauf doesn't clear up completely.  Maybe your RIMS  is sucking too hard at the grain bed and pulling grain past the edges, but I don't see how moving the false bottom will make a difference.  If it's a really big deal put a piece of stainless braid on the end of the pickup tube.  I have a 15" folding FB for my kettle, but since I use pellet hops most of the time I end up with a lot of hop debris underneath the FB.  The stainless braid on the pick up tube braid solved that problem.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline tom

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2010, 10:22:33 am »
I have the SABCO hinged 15" false bottom. It covers the entire bottom so I can directly heat the wort while pumping to do step mashes and mash-out.

They are 3/32" on 5/32" centers. If you don't want to do the hinge you can cut a 15" slit all the way through the top of the keg. Or use 2 single pieces that overlap.
Brew on

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2010, 10:54:44 am »
I have a Sabco and a Pico.  Like the Pico better.

This is like the one I have, but mine has copper screens.
http://www.homebrewing.org/Stainless-Steel-PICO-style-keg-kettle-false-bottom_p_1010.html
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline tom

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2010, 11:39:02 am »
Thanks, I didn't know they still made them. Why do you like it better?

Slits are supposed to clog less than holes. Do you need the support underneath when using it in a keggle?

Brew on

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2010, 12:18:48 pm »
Thanks, I didn't know they still made them. Why do you like it better?
Slits are supposed to clog less than holes. Do you need the support underneath when using it in a keggle?

The Sabco lets too much grain through, as it does not fit as well to my keg.  The Pico has a good tight fit.
I have never tried to use it without the support grid. 
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline tom

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2010, 08:20:25 pm »
Do you recirculate or pump through it?
Brew on

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2010, 08:49:43 pm »
I recirculate with the pump. 
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild