Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Keffir Lime and Lemongrass Berliner Weisse  (Read 2515 times)

Offline darlakorth

• 1st Kit
Keffir Lime and Lemongrass Berliner Weisse
« on: October 10, 2010, 11:09:29 am »
Does anyone have any ideas as to the best way to introduce these ingredients into my beer?  I want something citrusy and refreshing.  I've done a Berliner Weisse before but have never worked with Keffir Lime or Lemongrass.  Do I add at the end of the boil?  Do a tea?  Dry hop? 

Any help is appreciated!

-Darla

Offline ryang

• Brewer
  • Indian Hills CO
Re: Keffir Lime and Lemongrass Berliner Weisse
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2010, 08:45:31 am »
Saw this on hbd as well...

I've only used kaffir once, and I crushed (crunched and torn with my hands) two large leaves and put in at the end of the boil.  Low, but noticeable aroma.  I would suppose you could add it in any of the ways you mentioned.

I haven't dealt with lemongrass in brewing.  When used for cooking, I like to cook it for about 5-8 min right before serving the dish (usually some type of curry).  I would suppose doing the same for brewing would work well.

Good luck, and I look forward to the other responses as well.

Offline BarleynYeast

• Cellarman
  • Las Vegas, NV
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2010, 09:49:24 am »
You could try making a vodka infusion. (Take your lemon grass and soak it in just enough vodka to cover it. Then after about a week or so pour it though a coffee filter.) Then after the beer is carbonated add the infusions.  I would also keep the infusions separate for better taste control.

I have never tried brewing with lemon grass or kefir lime but this works great for adding spruce tip flavor to beer.  If you keg your beer, just take a 6.4 oz sample (for a 5 gal) and add the infusions a couple of drops at a time until you like the taste. Then multiply times 100 and add to the keg. Also if you don’t like the taste, you’re only out 6 oz of your beer and not 5 gal. 

Matt

Offline darlakorth

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2010, 08:24:19 pm »
Thanks for the help guys!  And yes- I did put the question on hbd as well, looking for as much help as I can get, especially since TechTalk is gone.

Offline Beertracker

• Brewer
  • ExperiFermenting since 1994!
    • Fellowship of Oklahoma Ale Makers (FOAM)
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2010, 12:01:24 am »
I use Kaffir lime leaves & lemongrass on a farely regular basis in both brewing & cooking. The flavors aren't really complimentary, so my suggestion is to choose one or the other for your Berliner Weiße. The dried leaves or grass can be added at the EOB/KO or the secondary as a tea. I've never had a problem using them as a "dry-spice" either.  ;) 
CHEERS! Jeff
"A homebrewed beer is truly a superior beer." ~ "Buffalo" Bill Owens - American Brewer

Jeffrey Swearengin
Fellowship of Oklahoma Ale Makers (FOAM)
Tulsa, OK USA

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2010, 10:51:00 am »
Does anyone have any ideas as to the best way to introduce these ingredients into my beer?  I want something citrusy and refreshing.  I've done a Berliner Weisse before but have never worked with Keffir Lime or Lemongrass.  Do I add at the end of the boil?  Do a tea?  Dry hop? 

Any help is appreciated!

-Darla

Early this summer I brewed a clone of New Belgium's "skinny dip."  I had emailed the brewer for tips, I told him I was gonna use two ounced of frozen Keffir leaves at flame out for a ten gallon batch.  He told that should work fine.  And it did.