Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: No weld fittings  (Read 2128 times)

Offline dano14041

• Brewer
No weld fittings
« on: November 01, 2010, 10:22:00 am »
Will y'all give me your opinions (good or bad) with the no weld fittings? I have a 5 gal SS pot that I use for a HLT and would like to add a valve and/or a thermometer, but I think the pot is too thin to weld.

It is this pot: http://www.midwestsupplies.com/polarware-economy-stainless-steel-brewing-pot-5-gallon.html

Thank you!
Dano
Tulsa, OK

Offline dcbc

• Brewer
Re: No weld fittings
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2010, 10:48:29 am »
They work fine.  I have always had mine on my kettles predrilled though.  If you have a local welder, you might want to take the kettle to him and see what he says about the cost of drilling and adding a 1/2 female NPT fitting to it.  I had that done to a kettle and it only ran me $20.
I've consumed all of my home brew and still can't relax!  Now what!

Offline wingnut

• Brewer
  • Plainwell MI
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2010, 10:55:26 am »
I have one from Northern Brewer on my aluminum kettle. Two years so far and no issues.   I did purchase a replacement O-ring the last time I was in St Paul, however, just in case the O-ring eventually degrades with the heat.

I bought a step drill and made the hole myself, and I would do it again in a heart beat!

I can say putting the spigot on the kettle made transfering a ton easier!  I would not have a kettle without one now that I know how easy it was to install and how well it works.
-- Wingnut - Cheers!

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2010, 12:36:03 pm »
I have one from Northern Brewer on my aluminum kettle. Two years so far and no issues.   I did purchase a replacement O-ring the last time I was in St Paul, however, just in case the O-ring eventually degrades with the heat.

I bought a step drill and made the hole myself, and I would do it again in a heart beat!

I can say putting the spigot on the kettle made transfering a ton easier!  I would not have a kettle without one now that I know how easy it was to install and how well it works.

My experience also.

Mine's not two years but works fantastic with out a drop leaked. I added a o-ring to the inside because I was getting bi-metallic corrosion. The step drill was expensive but worked like a charm.

Wish I hadn't waited so long. :)
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis