Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: BC Canada Homebrew Laws  (Read 4526 times)

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
BC Canada Homebrew Laws
« on: October 10, 2010, 08:00:43 pm »
Random question -

A friend of mine has been banished by his company for the next year or so to Sechelt BC.  Google maps literally shows zero roads there.  Rumor has it there's a homebrew shop in "town", but he's not sure he's allowed to brew.  Does anyone have a clue about this?  He's a US resident with a Canadian work permit.  :-\
Tom Schmidlin

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
Re: BC Canada Homebrew Laws
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2010, 05:15:57 am »
I went scuba diving there once a long time ago.  As I recall the place was pretty isolated from civilization.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2010, 09:28:32 am »
I was beginning to suspect google has it misplaced on the map, and now your comment makes me think so even more, Jeff.  Go to google maps and look up Sechelt - it's in the wrong spot, isn't it?
Tom Schmidlin

Offline rabid_dingo

• Brewmaster
  • Brighton, CO :D
    • Mile High Monks
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2010, 06:01:43 pm »
When I took a look it is on the coast or fjord, I should say. Makes sense to me..
Maybe 50 miles just northwest of Vancouver?
Ruben * Colorado :)

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2010, 07:20:01 pm »
I remember driving northwest from Vancouver and taking a ferry to a small island.  I had wanted to dive a fairly deep shipwreck that I had seen on some TV show, but the arrangements fell through when I got there and the dive shop hooked me up with a local diver who took me on a couple of "beach" dives.  It was still pretty memorable diving.  Very cold (45F) and fairly dark, like a cavern dive.  I think it's the same place.  I'll check the map in a minute.

OK I see it's at Sechelt INLET.  Here's a blurb about the wreck:
One of the very best wreck dives found anywhere is located in Sechelt Inlet The Wreck of HMCS Chaudiere, a huge warship is recommended for expert divers with wreck penetration and for intermediate divers for exterior wreck dives. This is a challenge as the ship is deep with 67 rooms on four decks that are all open for diving. Many rooms still hold equipment that adds to the dive. There is also plenty of marine life in and around this wreck. The HMCS Chaudiere Wreck sits in the Sechelt Inlet, in the bay north of Kuneching Point. Launch or charter from Tillicum Bay or Porpoise Bay and watch for the yellow buoys that mark the wreck.

(edited to add useless info on a wreck dive that I didn't get to do)
« Last Edit: October 11, 2010, 07:40:57 pm by jeffy »
Homebrewing since 1990
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2010, 08:00:24 pm »
I was beginning to suspect google has it misplaced on the map, and now your comment makes me think so even more, Jeff.  Go to google maps and look up Sechelt - it's in the wrong spot, isn't it?

Google maps is wrong.  Mapquest has it on a highway near the coast/bay.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2010, 08:41:31 pm »
Yeah, I checked it on an actual map (2010 Rand McNally road atlas) and it's just where I thought it was.  Google has it way up river.  It's still not close to much, unless you count the short drive to Vancouver.
Homebrewing since 1990
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline rabid_dingo

• Brewmaster
  • Brighton, CO :D
    • Mile High Monks
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2010, 09:41:20 pm »
I thought Google was infallible.  :o

"I saw it on the internet it must be true."
Ruben * Colorado :)

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2010, 09:48:23 pm »
Random question -

A friend of mine has been banished by his company for the next year or so to Sechelt BC.  Google maps literally shows zero roads there.  Rumor has it there's a homebrew shop in "town", but he's not sure he's allowed to brew.  Does anyone have a clue about this?  He's a US resident with a Canadian work permit.  :-\

When up in Vancouver a few years ago, we came by a LHBS, so it must be legal.  And I know "brew on premises" is very popular in Canada because of the tax on beer.  A six pack of MGD (I know, don't say it) was $9.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2010, 11:26:41 pm »
Thanks guys, I figured google was wrong.  I mean really, no roads.  How do you have a town if there's no roads?

When up in Vancouver a few years ago, we came by a LHBS, so it must be legal.  And I know "brew on premises" is very popular in Canada because of the tax on beer.  A six pack of MGD (I know, don't say it) was $9.
Thanks Mic, I know homebrewing is legal in Canada, just not sure if it is legal for everyone or just for Canadians.  That's my friend's main concern.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2010, 11:49:13 pm »
They have separate laws for foreigners? Seems to me if a Canadian could do it then at the very least an American could.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2010, 11:52:41 pm »
We have separate laws too . . . for example gun ownership :)

I think he's just being overly cautious.  But who knows, homebrewing might be the Canadian equivalent of owning a gun.  ;D
Tom Schmidlin

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2010, 11:58:43 pm »
Not to hijack but at a federal or state level? But I also agree. He's probably overreacting. However, ignorance of local laws and customs can get one in a lot of hot water. I count myself lucky to have gotten out of Mexico on a few occasions.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2010, 12:04:54 am »
It varies by state AFAIK.  In WA they changed the law last year to allow Alien Firearms Licenses.

Quote from: euge
link=topic=4078.msg47038#msg47038 date=1286863123
I count myself lucky to have gotten out of Mexico on a few occasions.
Do tell . . . :)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2010, 12:21:58 am »
Well it's always starts with someone you're with acting like a jackass- right?

Let's just say sheer bravado and feigning complete ignorance got us out of one in downtown Nuevo Laredo, with the cop shouting "alcohólico!" and all.

It had gone down hill rapidly after I was forced to comment from the back of my idiot friend's Laser: "... Umm... guy's I think the laws about alcohol are pretty much the same here as back in the States..." :-\