Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Beef cut sheet advice  (Read 5990 times)

Offline riverrat

• Assistant Brewer
Beef cut sheet advice
« on: December 08, 2009, 12:44:39 pm »
I'm purchasing a side of beef and was wondering if anybody had any experience in selecting cuts/filling out cut sheets. 

For reference, I'm thinking of going with more steaks and roasts and less burger.  Definitely want a wide variety of cuts.  Brisket, rib roast, etc...  What is a good size for roasts and thickness for steaks?  All sorts of questions!
Founding member, California Street Brewery

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Beef cut sheet advice
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2009, 12:55:47 pm »
I'm purchasing a side of beef and was wondering if anybody had any experience in selecting cuts/filling out cut sheets. 

For reference, I'm thinking of going with more steaks and roasts and less burger.  Definitely want a wide variety of cuts.  Brisket, rib roast, etc...  What is a good size for roasts and thickness for steaks?  All sorts of questions!

1" on the steaks. So you can char the outside, still have pink and juicy on the inside.
What's your price per pound - finished?

You will also need to learn pressure cooker or slow cooker techniques because there will be A LOT that is just too tough to grill.

-OCD
The moral majority, is neither.

Offline riverrat

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2009, 01:22:14 pm »
It's from a coworker, so nothing definite on price until I call the butcher (should do that soon since the steer was brought in on monday).  I was told around $2-$2.50/lb.  Not sure if that's hanging weight or finished weight.

I have been wanting an excuse to get a pressure cooker.  Maybe I should start another thread for advice on what type/size pressure cooker to get as well.  But I do have a big green egg, so I should be able to slow cook most of the stuff on that bad boy.

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2009, 01:40:11 pm »
Splain the big green egg? Why? - It's SO much money. I smoke - I'm just hillbilly about though, I guess.

-OCD
The moral majority, is neither.

Offline riverrat

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2009, 01:55:12 pm »
I've been stuck on gas grills far too long.  Wanted something that I could do everything from smoke to sear with.  The BGE seemed like the ideal solution, so I used a bunch of gift cards from my wedding to buy it.  Sure, I could have gotten a dedicated smoker and a nice charcoal grill, but this way I only have two grills on my deck (still have the gas for when the wife is hungry NOW!!!!!).

Back to the beef.

Offline Robert

• Assistant Brewer
  • Arlington, TX
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2009, 02:06:20 pm »

Best of both worlds. Smoker and charcoal and adjustable grates. What's a big green egg. I have an idea, but not sure. Never thought they were expensive.
"In three things is a man revealed: in his wine goblet, in his purse, and in his wrath."

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2009, 02:08:27 pm »
You will also need to learn pressure cooker or slow cooker techniques because there will be A LOT that is just too tough to grill.

I agree generally speaking about direct, high-heat grilling, but I would say there's precious little you can't do on a grill with the right technique and some ingenuity.  For instance, common (western) wisdom says beef short ribs need to be slow cooked, either braised (as is traditional) or smoked, but the Koreans butterfly them thinly in a quite clever way and marinate them, they are quite nice direct grilled over charcoal!  Galbi kui.

There are some cuts I don't have much use for.  Not a big fan of eye of round, but I'm sure it could be useful for some things.

Offline Robert

• Assistant Brewer
  • Arlington, TX
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2009, 02:21:25 pm »
For the eye of round, freeze it for about an hour and then slice real thin, 1/4 inch or thinner, against the grain. If you have a slicer, I guess you could skip freezing, but if you're working with a knife, I find freezing it a bit makes it easier to slice. Then you have nice cuts of beef for cheesesteak.
"In three things is a man revealed: in his wine goblet, in his purse, and in his wrath."