Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Pyment - yeast suggestions please  (Read 2790 times)

Offline alikocho

• Brewmaster
  • Bristol, UK
    • A Storm Brewing
Pyment - yeast suggestions please
« on: November 07, 2010, 02:08:40 am »
I got given (rather told to go and press at the orchard) some white grape juice yesterday. I plan to use it to make a pyment, but can't make up my mind which yeast I should use. I've never made pyment before, and am not sure what would be most suitable.

I have Montpellier, Champagne, Riesling, Tokay, and Sherry on hand, so it would be from these that I would make my choice.
Bristol Brewing Circle (BBC)
Bristol Craft Brewers

UK National Homebrew Competition - http://www.bristolhomebrewcompetition.org.uk/

Offline kenschramm

• 1st Kit
  • Mead head
Re: Pyment - yeast suggestions please
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2010, 07:37:59 am »
What variety of grapes? That will make a difference in which yeast you'd pick.  Also, what profile do you want the pyment to end up with?  Dry? Sweet?
bright red cherries against a blue sky, fresh and ripe, preserved through time...

Offline alikocho

• Brewmaster
  • Bristol, UK
    • A Storm Brewing
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2010, 12:06:56 pm »
I have no idea on the variety of grapes, and neither did the person who gave them to me. All I can tell you is that they are English, and fairly acidic. Gravity from the juice is 1.061.

I'd like to produce a dry pyment.
Bristol Craft Brewers

UK National Homebrew Competition - http://www.bristolhomebrewcompetition.org.uk/

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2010, 03:01:50 pm »
I have no idea on the variety of grapes, and neither did the person who gave them to me. All I can tell you is that they are English, and fairly acidic. Gravity from the juice is 1.061.

I'd like to produce a dry pyment.
That's a fairly low gravity for the grapes.  What is your target OG for the pyment?  I wouldn't use sherry or the riesling, but that's me.  The others should dry it out.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline alikocho

• Brewmaster
  • Bristol, UK
    • A Storm Brewing
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2010, 03:10:22 pm »
I know it's a low OG for grapes, but this is England. Going to shoot for a gravity somewhere around 1.090, so nothing huge.
Bristol Craft Brewers

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2010, 03:14:47 pm »
I know it's a low OG for grapes, but this is England. Going to shoot for a gravity somewhere around 1.090, so nothing huge.
At that low of an OG, even the riesling should dry it out :)  I don't think you can really go wrong, have you considered splitting it and trying a couple of different yeasts?  Without tasting the juice it's hard to predict what yeast will compliment it well, but maybe someone else has another opinion.  Bouef.
Tom Schmidlin