Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: March Pumps not pumping  (Read 4451 times)

Offline 52mgtd

• 1st Kit
March Pumps not pumping
« on: October 09, 2010, 06:34:48 pm »
The march pump works fine at lower temperatures but during three recent brew sessoins the pump feeding sparge water at 180 (high for heat loss) stops pumping after a few seconds.  The first time this happened, I  took the pump apart and a piece of grain came out.  OK, the impeller got stuck.  The second time, there was nothing in the impeller housing.  The third time I did nothing but ran a cleaning solution through it at teh end of the brew and it worked fine at 110.  Any thoughts?

Offline bonch

• 1st Kit
Re: March Pumps not pumping
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2010, 07:24:30 pm »
You have to remember as the temperature goes up the more air you have in the water you are pumping due to the steaming of water.  Normally this isnt a major problem if you have plenty of head above the pump.  However if the discharge water source is not much higher than the pump itself you can start getting cavitation of the pump where it gets steam bound and will stop pumping.  Try putting the suction source higher or the pump lower and see if this doesnt fix your problem.

Offline svejk

• Assistant Brewer
  • Seattle, Wa
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2010, 07:30:23 pm »
I agree - my only thought has to do with bubbles somehow getting into the housing, but that usually just happens with boiling liquids. Since the pump is not self-priming, I always make sure my pump is significantly lower than the kettle and watch out for bubbles.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2010, 11:40:18 pm »
This is helping me alot also. I've had significant difficulty priming the pump when boiling. Then have to drop and let fill the return line all almost the way for it to start. My pump is about 20" below the bottom of the kettle and each hose is 6 foot. My suspicion is too much hose between the pump inlet and kettle at this height.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2010, 07:17:42 am »
I have also had issues with my March pump stopping after a short period of pumping.  I think there is air that is somehow getting into the line and causing the pump to cavitate.  Although I am not 100% sure of that.  This is not rocket science...what else could it be.  ???

I did have a loose conection at my kettle that I fixed so hopefully this resolved it.  I'll let you know next week when I brew my next batch.
Ron Price

Offline andyi

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2010, 12:29:42 pm »

I have had the same problem with running boiling wort thru the pump to sanitze it the last 15min of the boil and sometimes after flame out.  I am going back to a "relief" valve on the out end to purge the air.  It does not work every time for the boil but works great after flame out. 

I also carry a lot of hose  ;D

Cheers

narvin

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2010, 02:25:04 pm »
Check your hoses... you might need clamps to prevent air from being sucked in.

Also, where is your sparge water coming from?  If it's a sealed chamber, you need to vent it to allow the water to flow freely from it.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2010, 02:26:39 pm by narvin »

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2010, 02:46:59 pm »
Check your hoses... you might need clamps to prevent air from being sucked in.

Also, where is your sparge water coming from?  If it's a sealed chamber, you need to vent it to allow the water to flow freely from it.

This was taken from the March Pump 809HS manual.

"The pump housing should be installed with the arrow on our housing pointing in the direction of the water flow within the system. If the arrow indicating water flow is not in the direction you require when the motor is in position, remove the four round housing screws (Item 1) holding the housing to the motor assembly and rotate the housing assembly as required."

http://www.marchpump.com/documents/Part%20Sheets/Hydronic_Pump-Series/0809-0053-1100.pdf
Ron Price

Offline klickcue

• 1st Kit
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2010, 07:37:35 pm »
Just a short take:

Are you taking pressure drops through check valves or other obstructions?

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2010, 07:42:15 pm »

I have had the same problem with running boiling wort thru the pump to sanitze it the last 15min of the boil and sometimes after flame out. 

I had the same problem until someone suggested to me to throttle back the pump output while recircing the boiling wort.  After I get the pump primed, I close the valve nearly all the way and it seems to work fine for me.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2010, 06:47:52 am »

I have had the same problem with running boiling wort thru the pump to sanitze it the last 15min of the boil and sometimes after flame out. 

I had the same problem until someone suggested to me to throttle back the pump output while recircing the boiling wort.  After I get the pump primed, I close the valve nearly all the way and it seems to work fine for me.

I'll give that a shot Denny.  Thanks.
Ron Price