Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: More Blending.  (Read 3563 times)

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
More Blending.
« on: October 12, 2010, 02:29:14 am »
I've become fascinated with blending. Never intended to blend. But maybe someday I can do that Newcastle clone. Or even better. All of what I'm learning is from gut instinct and experimentation.

Initially, I've been mixing pale ale and 2 & 3 yo barlewine. About 5-1. The pale ale as been fairly young at six weeks but past it's time IMO. How better to continue my investigations?

Wonderful malt aromas. Enhanced malt flavor. Subtle richness. But the relatively fresh bitterness from the pale ale balances the sweet BW. I feel I'm on to something here. Want to learn more.

I know this is a pretty advanced topic. Spill yer guts about blending. Experiences? Advice? :)
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
Re: More Blending.
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2010, 04:34:51 am »
I like to blend a Pilsner and a Bock. 50/50.  :-*
Ron Price

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2010, 09:34:46 am »
One of the years JZ won Ninkasi, one of the prizes was a cask full of beer.  He of course cracked it in the hospitality suite and dumped it out into pitchers.  It was a pale ale-ish beer, way over-oaked.  It was really too much to drink straight, so we kept going and getting samples of beer and blending them with that one in the glass.  Ever wondered what an oaked wit would taste like?  Done.  Oaked pilsner?  Oaked dopplebock?  We tried lots of stuff, especially after we got into the beers left over from the competition.  ;D
Tom Schmidlin

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2010, 11:10:41 am »
It's like the old addage "Some of the greatest inventions in the world were discovered by accident"
Well in blending this may occur.  I never thought that blending a Pils with a Bock would be so good but I inadvertantly blended them one day and....wow.... it was excellent.
Ron Price

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2010, 11:17:56 am »
This is what I want to hear! It isn't a magic formula though. Some have tasted like crap.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2010, 11:30:11 am »
I needed to take a keg to work in a hurry but didn't have a full one of anything I was prepared to see kicked, so I blended what was left of some other kegs I had lying around: Belgian pale ale, Scottish 70, Oktoberfest, and Schwarzbier, then adjusted it to taste with Biere de Garde, Belgian Blonde Ale, and some Imperial Stout to make artisan-style Belgian brown ale loosely in the Verboden Vrucht vein.  I put a little sign on it that just said it was "malty, fruity, spicy, somewhat strong" and said it was a Belgian brown ale.

I also brought two cases of some pretty good craft beer (Sierra Nevada Tumbler and Torpedo, Great Lakes Oktoberfest and Nosferatu, Troegs Sunshine Pils and Hopback Amber).  There were maybe three bottles consumed, while the keg was nearly gone.

In case you think the people didn't know anything about beer, there was about a case of mixed bottles of various Sam Adams stuff, Bud Light, and Mike's Hard Lemonade left over from some other function.  Not a bottle of that was touched.

I wasn't shooting for any particular target; I just wanted to make something that tasted good. So I blended to taste. Everyone was happy, and now I have four additional free kegs heading into brewing season.
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2010, 11:32:12 am »
I needed to take a keg to work in a hurry but didn't have a full one of anything I was prepared to see kicked, so I blended what was left of some other kegs I had lying around: Belgian pale ale, Scottish 70, Oktoberfest, and Schwarzbier, then adjusted it to taste with Biere de Garde, Belgian Blonde Ale, and some Imperial Stout to make artisan-style Belgian brown ale loosely in the Verboden Vrucht vein.  I put a little sign on it that just said it was "malty, fruity, spicy, somewhat strong" and said it was a Belgian brown ale.

Needs more hops.  ;D
Ron Price

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2010, 11:35:14 am »
Needs more hops.

Blend in Torpedo at dispense.
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2010, 11:41:13 am »
I needed to take a keg to work in a hurry ...

Had to do a double take on that.  Where I worked, that was not allowed. 
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline EHall

• Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2010, 11:44:56 am »
...taking a keg to work in a hurry... wish I had that problem...
Phoenix, AZ

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2010, 11:45:56 am »
To quote "Office Space", well, I wouldn't call it workin', Bob.

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2010, 11:51:14 am »
I can't imagine going after any commercial beer if Gordon Strong brought a keg to my workplace. Sounds like they're probably pretty well educated on the stuff with him around.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2010, 12:34:17 pm »
I can't imagine going after any commercial beer if Gordon Strong brought a keg to my workplace. Sounds like they're probably pretty well educated on the stuff with him around.

Indeed...especially with his "Belgian pale ale, Scottish 70, Oktoberfest, and Schwarzbier, then adjusted it to taste with Biere de Garde, Belgian Blonde Ale, and some Imperial Stout to make artisan-style Belgian brown ale loosely in the Verboden Vrucht vein."  and then blended in with Torpedo at dispense.  ;)  :D
Ron Price

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2010, 12:40:58 pm »
Bah, what a piker!
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2010, 01:19:50 pm »
I hear it scored pretty high on rateblend.com
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995