Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: How long is too long for dry hopping?  (Read 2042 times)

Offline ipaguy

• Assistant Brewer
How long is too long for dry hopping?
« on: October 24, 2010, 09:38:18 am »
I've got a 1.087 OG barleywine that I dry hopped with 1 oz of saaz pellets when I transferred to my secondary (cal lager @ 63F).  I'm still getting fermentation after 17 days in the secondary .  Do I need to be concerned about having the hops in there for much longer, and maybe think about racking to another carboy, or should I RDWHAHB?
« Last Edit: October 24, 2010, 09:40:02 am by ipaguy »
Primary: gotlandsdricke/alt/dunkel hybrid
Secondary: pale barleywine,
Bottled:  Gotlandsdricke
               Oatmeal/blackberry stout
               Honey Kolsch

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: How long is too long for dry hopping?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2010, 11:55:14 am »
Is it just outgassing? I would think fermentation would be done by now even at 63F. Gravity check will tell you.

I don't think the hops will be a problem, but do what feel comfortable.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline chezteth

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2010, 12:04:12 pm »
I have left dry hops in a fermenter for a month with no problems.  Although, if I were to do it again I would removed the hops sooner and add more fresh dry hops to really enhance the aroma.

Offline ipaguy

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2010, 12:48:09 pm »
Is it just outgassing? I would think fermentation would be done by now even at 63F. Gravity check will tell you.

I don't think the hops will be a problem, but do what feel comfortable.

I think it's still fermenting.  It's just been chugging along at a bubble every 15 sec of so for the last week.  I'll give it some more time.  I don't like to do any more SG checks than absolutely necessary.  I've been giving the carboy a shake once a day and it still keeps going.  I would think that simple outgassing would only keep the airlock going for a day or two.
Primary: gotlandsdricke/alt/dunkel hybrid
Secondary: pale barleywine,
Bottled:  Gotlandsdricke
               Oatmeal/blackberry stout
               Honey Kolsch

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2010, 03:53:54 pm »
I've been giving the carboy a shake once a day and it still keeps going.  I would think that simple outgassing would only keep the airlock going for a day or two.
It might, but every time you shake the the carboy you're helping more of the CO2 come out of solution.  Take gravity readings over the next few days.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2010, 06:17:55 pm »
I've been giving the carboy a shake once a day and it still keeps going.  I would think that simple outgassing would only keep the airlock going for a day or two.
It might, but every time you shake the the carboy you're helping more of the CO2 come out of solution.  Take gravity readings over the next few days.

+1

Once the gravity has leveled off the fermentation is complete.  The beer is probably done by now but confirm that with at least two consecutive gravity readings first.  Let us know how you make out.
Ron Price

Offline rabid_dingo

• Brewmaster
  • Brighton, CO :D
    • Mile High Monks
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2010, 11:56:33 pm »
+1 Counting the number of bubbles only tells you how many bubbles there are...Gravity is the way to go or
as in my case extended fermentation times. 3-4 weeks+...
Ruben * Colorado :)