Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: More Blending.  (Read 3536 times)

Offline lostralph

• 1st Kit
Re: More Blending.
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2010, 11:02:26 am »
Blended a malty saison with a dry hopped APA, that worked out rather well.  In fact I'm thinking about repeating it.
The High Plains Draughters - OKC

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2010, 02:30:42 am »
I put a keg of 2 yo BW back in the kegerator. However, it's a little too much on it's own. I can only drink about 12oz and I'm done. Been working on it off and on for the last year. I want to get rid of it.

My last 12g AG Bitter didn't turn out like I'd hoped. My BU's are negatively off. I let the ferment stray into the mid 70's for about 8 hours after a day or so of the initial post attenuative phase. I'd say 5 days in.

I'll spare you the further details. Unremarkable.

There's a solventy tang to the beer. Six+ weeks has softened it some. But it's very apparent to me.  >:(

Blending!!

Not an ideal situation but I think I can drink it all.  :P This approach is all about the "concentrate"and the "base". In varying concentrations I'm getting different results. I'm getting better hop character out of the BW at about 25% and it becomes closer to an ESB. But not quite since the fruitiness ain't there. Very drinkable. Have to watch the pours though. That BW can really add some oomph! to a beer.

So how about more similar strength blending? Don't want to get fixated on that it has to be strong and weak or a happy accident. I'd like to think there's some sort of ROT for blending and a method too.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline pweis909

• Cellarman
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2010, 04:24:23 am »
I recently blended a sweet mead into some cider and a berry melomel.    They scored 39 and 38 points in the MN Renaissance Festival competition.  The ceyser took a 3rd in the mead category.