Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: straight beer out tubes in ball lock kegs?  (Read 4128 times)

Offline altered_states

• 1st Kit
straight beer out tubes in ball lock kegs?
« on: October 05, 2010, 04:33:09 pm »
So I have been fermenting in corny kegs.  Works great - I'm never going back to carboys.  I cut and partially straightened one curved dip tube to get above the trub and yeast.

Someone told me that the straight dip tubes from pin lock kegs will fit the ball lock kegs. Is that true?  If so, I will get some of those and change them as needed depending on what's in the keg. Thanks.
Snake River Brewers

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: straight beer out tubes in ball lock kegs?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2010, 08:48:03 am »
So I have been fermenting in corny kegs.  Works great - I'm never going back to carboys.  I cut and partially straightened one curved dip tube to get above the trub and yeast.

Someone told me that the straight dip tubes from pin lock kegs will fit the ball lock kegs. Is that true?  If so, I will get some of those and change them as needed depending on what's in the keg. Thanks.

I have a few straight dip tubes in my ball lock kegs.  I wondered why some were straight and some had a bend to them.  Maybe it was converted byt he previous owner????/

Offline tom

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2010, 11:28:55 am »
$5 same as downtown  http://www.chicompany.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_3_79&products_id=405

or brewersdiscount.net if you're on the east coast
Brew on

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2010, 09:37:10 pm »
$5 same as downtown  http://www.chicompany.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_3_79&products_id=405

or brewersdiscount.net if you're on the east coast

Man, that is a great resource - thank you. They actually have both sizes of race track lids for a very reasonable price. Those can be very hard to find.
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline ajk

• Brewer
  • Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2010, 07:31:51 am »
So I have been fermenting in corny kegs.  Works great - I'm never going back to carboys.

Sorry to hijack your thread, but I have to know -- are these 5-gallon Cornies?  Is blowoff a problem?  Do you use Fermcap-S or just settle for less beer?

Thanks ...

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2010, 10:59:48 am »
Sorry to hijack your thread, but I have to know -- are these 5-gallon Cornies?  Is blowoff a problem?  Do you use Fermcap-S or just settle for less beer?

Thanks ...

I ferment in cornies as well; they have a lot of advantages over carboys. Usually I use 10 gallon cornies, but I've also fermented in the 5 gallon ones. I've fermented up to 4.5 gallons in a 5 gallon cornie without issue and without using fermcap.

It's great being able to transfer to the serving keg under CO2 pressure without even having to open your fermenter.

Just stick a piece of tubing onto a gas disconnect, and you're good to go.

Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline altered_states

• 1st Kit
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2010, 02:32:23 pm »
So I have been fermenting in corny kegs.  Works great - I'm never going back to carboys.

Sorry to hijack your thread, but I have to know -- are these 5-gallon Cornies?  Is blowoff a problem?  Do you use Fermcap-S or just settle for less beer?

Thanks ...

I use 5 gallon cornies - I ferment 4 to 4.5 gallons in each one.  Sometimes I use Fermcap, but it isn't really necessary.   Try it - you'll like it.   :) 
Snake River Brewers