Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Plastic Cases for 12 oz Bottles?  (Read 5700 times)

Offline diegoprof

• 1st Kit
Plastic Cases for 12 oz Bottles?
« on: October 14, 2010, 11:29:22 am »
Hi all,

I store my 12 oz bottles of beer in a chest freezer/kegerator.  During humid times, it gets a lot of condensation that even several containers of DampRid can’t keep under control.  And as a result, the cardboard boxes that I keep my 12 oz bottles in get wet, get moldy, and eventually fall apart.  Not good.

I’m looking for a way around this issue.  The best, from my perspective, would be a plastic box with the same kind of dividers one finds in cardboard beer cases.  It’d be nice to have one for 22 oz bottles too.  But I’m open to other creative solutions as well!

Thanks,

-Matt

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: Plastic Cases for 12 oz Bottles?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2010, 11:39:08 am »
I would go to Lowes or Walmart and look in their storage container sections. Make sure you have measurements already in mind. Maybe a card board cut-out to quickly compare dimensions.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline BrewArk

• Brewmaster
  • Rick - Newark, California
    • BrewArk
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2010, 12:31:26 pm »
You have a kegerator & you still bottle?  I could see a couple bottles for competition, but I'd be tapping a keg normally.
Beer...Now there's a temporary solution!

Na Zdraví

Offline diegoprof

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2010, 12:42:25 pm »
You have a kegerator & you still bottle? 

Sometimes.  But I store my commercial bottles in the kegerator too.

Offline glitterbug

• Assistant Brewer
  • dallas, tx
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2010, 01:01:05 pm »
People seem to like milk crates for storing the bottles. Perhaps you can create a divider with a cheap piece of polystyrene.
A witty saying proves nothing - Voltaire

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2010, 01:08:15 pm »
there is an old book called breware that has all kinds of instructions for gadgets including making boxes for your bottles.  pretty nifty.
Don AHA member

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2010, 01:10:31 pm »
Milk crates. Hmm. I also was thinking of those plastic flats they deliver 20oz, and 2&3 liter soda bottles in.

Both crates and soda carriers usually stack up behind convenience stores. Lifting them would be unethical IMO so I don't advocate taking any. Though slipping a twenty to the clerk might work. ;)
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2010, 01:26:34 pm »
I think the milk crates would be the way I'd go.

But I also have to question why you are getting so much condensation.  Even if the outside air is humid, the air in the freezer should dry out with the damprid.  I'd look at the seals and see if air is leaking in/out of the freezer.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline glitterbug

• Assistant Brewer
  • dallas, tx
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2010, 01:32:08 pm »
Milk crates. Hmm. I also was thinking of those plastic flats they deliver 20oz, and 2&3 liter soda bottles in.

Both crates and soda carriers usually stack up behind convenience stores. Lifting them would be unethical IMO so I don't advocate taking any. Though slipping a twenty to the clerk might work. ;)

So theft = bad but theft + bribery = good  ;D

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2010, 01:53:18 pm »
At least some money would percolate around. But don't steal. Just like kegs its bad.

Try this: http://www.amazon.com/Supreme-Milk-Crate-by-Iris/dp/B001L9HV9M

Offline glitterbug

• Assistant Brewer
  • dallas, tx
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2010, 03:04:48 pm »
At least some money would percolate around. But don't steal. Just like kegs its bad.

I don't think you would be okay with me stealing your property and selling it to someone else with the justification that some money was percolated. Your moral compass may need a slight recalibration  ;)

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2010, 03:38:29 pm »

I don't think you would be okay with me stealing your property and selling it to someone else with the justification that some money was percolated. Your moral compass may need a slight recalibration  ;)
I think it depends on you being an elected official.  If $elected_Official == yes then Okay Else Bad.   ::)
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2010, 03:51:01 pm »
On a more serious note..

I saw a similar discussion on another board.  One guy suggested commercial dishwasher racks.  They not cheap new but you might find them on Craigslist or going out of business auctions.

http://www.foodservicewarehouse.com/equipment/glass-washing-racks/c22974.aspx

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2010, 05:29:46 pm »
My moral compass is fine where it is.  ::)

Offline wingnut

• Brewer
  • Plainwell MI
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2010, 06:02:31 pm »
I use milk crates. 

I found that the file storage sized ones that you get at walmart/k-mart/etc work well and are cheap. (between $2.50 and $5 depending on the sale) The "real" milk crates are more durable, but unless your boxes of bottles are going to double as stools as well, the cheaper ones work fine.  They hold about 20 bottles a box.

Do not buy the collapsable milk crates, however.  They are not sturdy enough in my experiance. 

The milk crates are the right height and stack up real nice.  I moved from cardboard when the handles of a box ripped and I loss half a case of beer around christmas time.  Takeing the box into and out of the cold created condensation, and eventually the cardboard did not hold up...  Now it is all milk crates for my bottles!

The only addition I have done is cut some screen material for lining the bottoms with.  That way, when I have washed, clean bottles, they are stored inverted and the neck do not fall thorugh the larger webbing of the crate.  That way I can tell my washed from unwashed bottles....
-- Wingnut - Cheers!