General Category > Kegging and Bottling

Setting up keg for carbonating/serving pressure

<< < (2/2)

bluesman:

--- Quote from: bonjour on November 04, 2009, 03:41:20 AM ---I had no idea that that was there Gary,  Thanks.

To repeat Gary, Wahoo is correct,  you need to achieve balance with your delivery system.

Fred

--- End quote ---

Thanks folks...for setting me in the right direction.

My first topic on this forum was a good one for me.  :)

smurfe:
I have never had a problem with my beers loosing carbonation with 5 psi which is around what I serve with. I will carb at around 12 psi for a couple weeks depending volume desired, vent the keg and then pressurize it with around 5 psi. Get a perfect pour. Of course a keg around here doesn't last very long so maybe that is why I never have an issue loosing carbonation. I use around 5 ft of 3/16" line on each tap.

a10t2:

--- Quote from: smurfe on November 06, 2009, 10:14:29 PM ---I have never had a problem with my beers loosing carbonation with 5 psi which is around what I serve with. I will carb at around 12 psi for a couple weeks depending volume desired, vent the keg and then pressurize it with around 5 psi. Get a perfect pour. Of course a keg around here doesn't last very long so maybe that is why I never have an issue loosing carbonation. I use around 5 ft of 3/16" line on each tap.
--- End quote ---
Just curious; why drop the pressure at all? With 5 ft of line you should be fine serving much higher than 5 psi.

smurfe:

--- Quote from: a10t2 on November 10, 2009, 10:39:48 PM ---
--- Quote from: smurfe on November 06, 2009, 10:14:29 PM ---I have never had a problem with my beers loosing carbonation with 5 psi which is around what I serve with. I will carb at around 12 psi for a couple weeks depending volume desired, vent the keg and then pressurize it with around 5 psi. Get a perfect pour. Of course a keg around here doesn't last very long so maybe that is why I never have an issue loosing carbonation. I use around 5 ft of 3/16" line on each tap.
--- End quote ---
Just curious; why drop the pressure at all? With 5 ft of line you should be fine serving much higher than 5 psi.

--- End quote ---

Dunno, just the way I was taught and it works fine for me. I don't do this with all beers though. I do mostly Ordinary Bitters though and it works great for my set up. You are correct though. It probably isn't required. 5-8 psi is what I normally serve at though for just about any beer.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version