Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Lautering Time  (Read 2821 times)

Offline Podo

• Cellarman
  • Korea
Lautering Time
« on: October 12, 2010, 06:46:16 pm »
Hello all,

I was wondering how much time I should be taking to get the runnings from the mash.  I batch sparge and make 5 gallon batches.  I haven't really timed it, but I guess it takes me 15 minutes apiece on the first and second runnings, maybe less.  Is that too quick?  Usually I'm itching to get on with boiling by the time I have my second runnings draining.  I've only had one stuck mash in about 3 years of all-grain brewing.  Does going slow provide any benefits other than reducing the chances of stuck mashes? 

Dave
So good once it hits your lips!

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
Re: Lautering Time
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2010, 06:49:36 pm »
Nope, when batch sparging you can drain the mash tun as fast as your system will allow.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline roy

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2010, 01:56:41 pm »
I agree with the above. I did notice that the manifold design matters for batch sparging. Simpler is actually better. A basic kettlescreen type drain cover is less prone to getting stuck than a full-blown manifold that covers the tun bottom (but which is more conducive to making fly sparging more efficient). That's because you're draining the tun, not "sparging" the grain. Denny's simple water hose SS-braid deal is probably the lowest cost and easiest solution.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2010, 03:26:26 pm »
Nope, when batch sparging you can drain the mash tun as fast as your system will allow.

+1

That's what I do as well. Going slower won't necessarily acheive anything significant other than a loss of time.

Good Luck!
Ron Price

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2010, 03:27:26 pm »

Fast as it will allow. Try to go too fast and it will compact the grain-bed resulting in a stuck sparge and more spent time. I have to throttle it about half-way. Fifteen minutes is pretty good.

Have fun. ;D
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2010, 03:31:34 pm »
Fast as it will allow.

Nice choice of words euge.  ;)  :)

Agreed.

Ron Price

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2010, 04:07:37 pm »

Fast as it will allow.

Yep, that's what I said  ;)

On my system that's full throttle with no problems.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2010, 07:46:18 pm »

Fast as it will allow.

Likewise...
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2010, 08:32:44 pm »

Fast as it will allow.

Likewise...

Smart-assery. ;D

I'm just saying when you troubleshoot a stuck mash this is where one should look first.  :o
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis