Author Topic: Sourdough Time!  (Read 8226 times)

Offline pweis909

• Cellarman
    • View Profile
Re: Sourdough Time!
« Reply #45 on: November 13, 2010, 02:39:10 AM »
I recently started making sour dough in a bread machine acquired from a second-hand shop.  Don't scoff at that - I'm a sour dough newbie and so far this bread machine thing has been working out for me!  I started a culture using yogurt and flour, so lactobacillus and who-knows-what wild bugs are present.  For the first half dozen or so batches, I didn't trust it to rise on its own so I added commercial yeast to the dough (but not to my culture) and the result was OK - nice texture as far as bread machine bread goes, and a bit of sourdough flavor.  I even made a batch in which I added about half a pack of Danstar Nottingham left over from a bottling operation.  Again, a decent loaf, but nothing special.  But last week I tried 2 loaves using only my culture, no added yeast.  I had great leavening and the flavor was fantastic.  In fact, I'm going to start another loaf right now.  What else to do at 3:30 AM when I can't sleep?  Grade my students lab reports and papers?  Nah.  I'm making bread.

Offline MrNate

• Brewmaster
  • Bridgewater, NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 13, 2010, 08:12:44 AM »
Well, you've discovered secret #1 - Never add yeast to sourdough. I did that the first time because that's what all the recipes called for, then I took a leap of faith.

I made dough at 1am, so don't feel alone.
“If one's actions are honest, one does not need the predated confidence of others, only their rational perception.”

Offline bluesman

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Delaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 13, 2010, 08:30:26 AM »
I'd love a stand mixer too, but haven't been able to justify it yet.  It's on sale at costco right now though :)  Still SWMBO is a fan of having the counters clear, and the cabinets are getting pretty full . . .

The food processor works well, and I'd rather spend my time cleaning it (putting it in the dishwasher) than kneading dough forever.  But that's me. ;)

Tom...I have a KA mixer and use it all ther time during cooking/baking season.  It is the bomb-diggity-dogg.  8)

Grant it, they have to be cleaned after each use but they are very easy to clean. This gadget is one of the best investments I have in my kitchen.  If you make your own pizza dough or bread dough frequently, then this gadget is priceless.
They are a little pricey but well worth it IMO.
Just my 2 cents worth.
Ron Price

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 13, 2010, 08:57:35 AM »
...I have a KA mixer and use it all ther time during cooking/baking season...

Baking season?

Can I be fined for baking out of season?    ;)
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline bluesman

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Delaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 13, 2010, 09:02:20 AM »

Baking season?

Depends on what you're baking.  ;)  ;D
Ron Price

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • View Profile
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #50 on: November 13, 2010, 10:30:02 AM »
Oh it is so worth the counter space you have to give up! I use mine for bread, pasta, cakes, shredding large quantities of cheese/veg the list goes on. I have a tiny house (less than 500sq feet) but the kitchen is most of that so I guess I don't mind giving up a little. You can even get a grain mill for it although I hear it's not great for brewing grains (To fine a grind, to much damage to the husk)

I guarantee you, I've looked at my counter space every which way, and I just can't find a way that a mixer would fit.  Fortunately, there's a remodel on the horizon!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 13, 2010, 11:39:17 AM »
If you make your own pizza dough or bread dough frequently, then this gadget is priceless.
They are a little pricey but well worth it IMO.
Some day :)  I've been doing it so long with the food processor I can't say I really need the KA mixer, but it would be great.  Maybe with the holidays coming up I'll find one all wrapped up.  Because then I could get a grinder attachment and do some stuff I can't do with our current gear ;D
Tom Schmidlin

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Lat 40* 6 m. 2.24 s. Long -74* 51 m. 21.75 s.
    • View Profile
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #52 on: November 13, 2010, 11:53:20 AM »
Oh man, I couldnt live without my kitchen aid. And just think, they have a sausage attachment. 8) I really want that one. They also have some other really cool attachments.

What I wish they had (and Im not completely sure they dont) is a mastication type juicer attachment.

I used to have a separate mastication juicer that s*** the bed not to long ago. Hard to live without one. Not only for making all kinds of juice but using veg juice in soups and cooking instead of plain water is just out of this world. Takes it up to a whole other level.

Beer, its whats for dinner.

http://theholyravioli.blogspot.com/

http:// www.thecapo.us

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #53 on: November 13, 2010, 12:14:52 PM »
One of my main motivations for getting a KA is the pasta attachment.  If I never had to hand roll another batch of pasta, I'd be a happy guy!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

Offline bluesman

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Delaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 13, 2010, 12:31:40 PM »
One of my main motivations for getting a KA is the pasta attachment.  If I never had to hand roll another batch of pasta, I'd be a happy guy!

The pasta attachment is one I need to experiment with this year.

I have yet to make pasta with the KA.
Ron Price

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #55 on: November 13, 2010, 12:34:36 PM »
I use a 50/50 blend of AP and semolina for pasta.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Estilo Casero
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 13, 2010, 12:57:06 PM »

The pasta attachment is one I need to experiment with this year.

I have yet to make pasta with the KA.

Is it hand roll with a dowel or rolling pin or with the clamp on counter top pasta machine? Cranking the pasta machine isn't hard, but then I'm not old and arthritic... ;)
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #57 on: November 13, 2010, 01:39:45 PM »
It's the clamp to the counter pasta machine, hand cranked.  You;re right, it's not too bad, but mu counters are thicker than the clamp mechanism on the machine will take.  So, I have to clamp it to a cutting board, then C clamp the cutting board to the counter.  A total PITA!

www.dennybrew.com

Offline MrNate

• Brewmaster
  • Bridgewater, NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 13, 2010, 10:49:52 PM »

Baking season?

Baking season is defined as the time when it's not too ungodly hot to turn the oven on.

I baked one loaf tonight, made 2 pizzas with the other. One deep dish, one regular. I made the deep dish in my cast iron skillet, and it turned out pretty well, but I can't help but wonder if it would've been better if I could figure out a way to preheat the skillet.

Also, I'm glad I'm not the only one that calls it a "PTO" on the KA mixer.
“If one's actions are honest, one does not need the predated confidence of others, only their rational perception.”

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 13, 2010, 11:43:05 PM »
I made a loaf of my usual bread today, kind of a rustic loaf.  This time though, instead of 50/50 bread/ap flour, I used 50/50 bread/whole wheat flour and added two Tbs of vital wheat gluten.  The loaf looks great, but we haven't sliced into it yet.  I might need to tweak the amount of gluten added and I might try to do 100% whole wheat, we'll see how it goes.
Tom Schmidlin