Author Topic: Distilling  (Read 10107 times)

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Estilo Casero
    • View Profile
Re: Distilling
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2010, 10:42:16 AM »
Its also weird that distillation does not make alcohol. Fermentation does. http://www.gin-vodka.com/legal.html

Now that making alcohol is legal no reason distillation shouldnt be.

The law says you are not allowed to own distillation equipment at all, even if you are not using it to create alcoholic beverages.

It's quite a bit more hazardous than brewing. We spill stuff. Maybe burn our leg.  ::)

Stills can explode plus distilled spirits are highly flammable and can burn your house down.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Be Sure To Vote Jonathan Fuller for Governing Committee!

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Lat 40* 6 m. 2.24 s. Long -74* 51 m. 21.75 s.
    • View Profile
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2010, 10:44:59 AM »
So is a propane tank and burner. More so than alcohol vapor.

And if that were actually the reason, turkey fryers should be illegal too.

http://www.af.mil/news/story.asp?storyID=123007008

http://www.spike.com/video/turkey-fryer-fire/2684258
« Last Edit: October 16, 2010, 10:49:17 AM by capozzoli »
Beer, its whats for dinner.

http://theholyravioli.blogspot.com/

http:// www.thecapo.us

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • View Profile
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2010, 10:49:56 AM »
Guys, distilling is not what this forum is about.  I'd appreciate it if this topic is dropped.

Sorry Denny. Didn't mean to cause a stir. I really gotta stop watching the History channel. It give me all kinds of ideas. You shoulda seen me the first season of Meteorite Men was on!!!  ;D

Hey, Barry, from a theoretical standpoint I think it's an interesting subject.  We just need to make sure that's the path it stays on.  Unless it goes pear shaped or I hear from the AHA that it's not a good idea, the topic stays open.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Estilo Casero
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2010, 11:01:19 AM »
So is a propane tank and burner. More so than alcohol vapor.

And if that were actually the reason, turkey fryers should be illegal too.

http://www.af.mil/news/story.asp?storyID=123007008

http://www.spike.com/video/turkey-fryer-fire/2684258

Sorry cap you won't convince me with that argument. Distilling is a specialized skill.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2010, 11:04:38 AM »
No, you can OWN a still. You CAN'T separate alcohol from water legally. You can extract essential oils and distill water all you want. There's a certain size that won't even get anyone's attention (sears even sells a water distiller) - but once you buy the big mamba jamba stuff cuz you're making "perfume" you might get a visit.

Skymall used to sell a tabletop still. The ad copy totally said it was legal to own and use because of the low quantity it could produce. That was in the early 90's - I haven't seen it since. And I have since found out even distilling an ounce would be illegal.
The moral majority, is neither.

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Lat 40* 6 m. 2.24 s. Long -74* 51 m. 21.75 s.
    • View Profile
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2010, 11:25:03 AM »
Not in PA. No stills are legal. At least that is the way it was the last time I looked. Also in PA it is illegal to own a liquor store or sell liquor at all. How bout that? Only the state can legally sell liquor.

Euge, how come you cant become convinced? Do you understand the dangers in distilling alcohol? It may not be as dangerous as you think. This is what they want you to believe though to justify this out dated law.

No more dangerous than keeping propane in your garage, in fact less dangerous.  

Is it dangerous? Yes.Is it skilled? Its just a matter of whether or not you want a law telling you what you can and cant do.

It is legal in any state to buy propane in large quantities. Welding supplies, very dangerous. No licensees needed. Could you burn a house down with improper distilling? Yes. But an easily improperly handled propane tank or acetylene tank can take out a whole city block.

What do you think is the danger that we need to be protected by a law?
« Last Edit: October 16, 2010, 11:28:02 AM by capozzoli »
Beer, its whats for dinner.

http://theholyravioli.blogspot.com/

http:// www.thecapo.us

Offline tumarkin

• Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2010, 11:29:20 AM »
thanks, Denny,
I (we?) appreciate that it isn't being shut down. It would be a damn shame if it were. If we talk about it we may find that there is significant interest in distillation, and efforts to make it legal. That would be an uphill fight in this country. And a lot of that has to do with taxation issues - the first tax ever in this country was on whisky.

A quick google search shows that there are efforts to legalize home distillation. A MI congressman introduced a bill in 2001 to legalize home distillation. It was recently legalized in New Zealand, may be soon in Hungary. It'll be a while before that happens here, and it won't happen if we don't talk about it.

This is an issue of importance to our pro brewing brethren as well. I don't think anyone would argue that the craft brewing industry has benefited immensely by brewers who got their start & training as homebrewers. There is a large & growing movement of craft distillation (Anchor, Dogfish Head, Rogue, Ballast Point, and more all the time). If a brewery wants to venture into distillation, how does the brewer get the experience or training to do so before trying it as a business? You can go to Herriott Watt & and their brewing AND distillation program in Scotland. There are probably similar programs here, but you can't legally experiment at home. If you try, you risk having your home taken away.

As I said, it would be an uphill battle to legalize home distillation, but it certainly won't happen if we don't talk about it.
Mark Tumarkin
Hogtown Brewers
Gainesville, FL

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Estilo Casero
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2010, 11:49:45 AM »
Well, maybe more laws concerning distilling could be created. For instance a special home-distilling permit if one has taken the required training courses and completed certain exams. At this point the permit holder would be expected to know how to use the proper equipment and practice safe distillation. Perhaps also there would have to be an equipment inspection at some point.

My concerns are that it isn't to be trifled with; gaining experience in the company of a knowledgeable distiller would be optimal. I'm not against distilling. Just don't want anyone to get hurt either from an accident or bad booze because they found some info on the web and decided to "try it".

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Mecca, Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2010, 12:15:00 PM »
  Unless it goes pear shaped or I hear from the AHA that it's not a good idea, the topic stays open.

Oh man, my buddy dated a ghirl who was pear shaped. That didn't last long!!  :o
A man works hard all week, so he doesn't have to wear pants all weekend.

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Mecca, Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2010, 12:20:37 PM »
 I was always under the impression that bad booze came the the shiners adding funky ingredients to the mash. Now, I'm starting to lean the is also the danger of not boiling off the right alcohol? (and FWIW, I really have no plans of trying any such thing, anytime soon. So, based on my complete ignorance of the subject, I'll live, and keep my sight for a while longer.)
  And, I think I might head over to a distillers board, and ask future "water distilling" questions there. It would be more approrpiate to ask them them than a beer board.
A man works hard all week, so he doesn't have to wear pants all weekend.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • View Profile
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2010, 12:35:35 PM »
And, I think I might head over to a distillers board, and ask future "water distilling" questions there. It would be more approrpiate to ask them them than a beer board.

That's what I was getting at.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

Offline bluesman

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Delaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2010, 02:20:22 PM »

That's what I was getting at.

Here's the place to get the meat and potatoes of this process. For those interested.

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=709
Ron Price

Offline 1vertical

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Ozone Layer. Actual location
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2010, 04:28:47 PM »
Dang Barry, there ya are in idaho....next to the biggest silo of malt ever seen by a human....
I am jealous. just think of the rocket fuel you could produce to add to your green flex fuel
vehicle....I wonder what if a guy started Mad Max auto company and started making hiz own
autos out of junkers....and selling em at a price that joe sixpack could afford on less than
a years salry.  Ahhhh the american dream...And sell em the fuel from alcohol too!!!

Seriously, I am thinking along the same lines and need to spend some time on some
distillation boards...which there are quite a few....

How does a guy get a  rail head spur for a 75 foot length...onto hiz property???
Hell then I could buy bulk malt and coal and be in buziness... the coal sales could finance and heat
the alcohol plant I could build for the new e15 fuel now allowed by law.....then the RR could pack it away.
Coal from the mines is around $26 a ton...and the rail could get it here eazily

I need investment capitol  $$$$$
« Last Edit: October 16, 2010, 04:33:36 PM by 1vertical »
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

Offline akr71

• Brewmaster
  • Beer Ain't Drinkin' - Mojo Nixon
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2010, 05:23:43 PM »
Why not do a big mash and ferment with wyeast 4347 Eau de Vie.  Its got an reported alcohol tolerance of 21% ABV.  You might want to start with a regular beer yeast first to get some esters and yeast character in there.  Maybe 2row with a good dose of peated malt.

At the end of all that, freeze concentrate it like a Eisenbock.  Absolutely no distilling necessary and its nice and legal.  ;)

If you can get a 5 gallon batch to 15% with the 4347 and freeze out 1/3 of the water, you are up to 25%ABV, half the water and you are upto 30%ABV.
Andy

Amherst, NS - Canada

Offline 1vertical

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Ozone Layer. Actual location
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2010, 05:46:30 PM »
Why not do a big mash and ferment with wyeast 4347 Eau de Vie.  Its got an reported alcohol tolerance of 21% ABV.  You might want to start with a regular beer yeast first to get some esters and yeast character in there.  Maybe 2row with a good dose of peated malt.

At the end of all that, freeze concentrate it like a Eisenbock.  Absolutely no distilling necessary and its nice and legal.  ;)

If you can get a 5 gallon batch to 15% with the 4347 and freeze out 1/3 of the water, you are up to 25%ABV, half the water and you are upto 30%ABV.

F.Y.I. Methinks distillers malt is 6 row....fwiw
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.