Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Distilling  (Read 24121 times)

Offline dean

• Brewmaster
  • Me and Hayden, my newest grandson.
Re: Distilling
« Reply #45 on: October 17, 2010, 05:10:53 pm »
I've been watching TV a lot for the last several weeks and just yesterday the History Channel did several shows back to back about making whiskey, shine, bourbon, scotch.... very interesting.  Maybe I can't drink beer but doc didn't say a couple shots would be a problem for me.... maybe I'll look into changing a few parameters in my hobby.  I doubt it is worth any legal department wasting their time over me making a pint two or three times a year... but who knows?   ::) 

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #46 on: October 17, 2010, 06:20:30 pm »
Those are exactly the shows that got me thinking, againg. If they don't want people trying, then it should not be on tv! I blame the History channel!!!  ;D
A man works hard all week, so he doesn't have to wear pants all weekend.

Offline rabid_dingo

• Brewmaster
  • Brighton, CO :D
    • Mile High Monks
« Reply #47 on: October 18, 2010, 02:18:21 am »
Saw the same run...It does stir the imagination.
Ruben * Colorado :)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #48 on: October 18, 2010, 03:43:41 pm »
After much discussion, this thread will allowed to continue as long as the content doesn't stray into the distillation process.  This corresponds with the trend of breweries getting involved with distillation.  We've put a lot of effort into disproving the notion that homebrewers are moonshiners and don't feel that the organization as a whole benefits from discussions that confuse that effort.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #49 on: October 18, 2010, 04:21:05 pm »
After much discussion, this thread will allowed to continue as long as the content doesn't stray into the distillation process.  This corresponds with the trend of breweries getting involved with distillation.  We've put a lot of effort into disproving the notion that homebrewers are moonshiners and don't feel that the organization as a whole benefits from discussions that confuse that effort.
One afternoon I was brewing and a couple of cops showed up at my house regarding a former employee.  The first one out of the car says" Looks like you're running a still, whatcha doing? '  The other one says"You're an idiot, he's brewing beer and it's legal.  I do it sometimes"
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #50 on: October 18, 2010, 04:45:01 pm »
Yeah, have had that conversation a few times.

Never had an officer actually recognize what I was doing though.
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline tumarkin

• Brewmaster
« Reply #51 on: October 18, 2010, 04:46:49 pm »

I don't necessarily agree with this line of thinking. I'm not a moonshiner, I don't distill (yet). But learning about and discussing the distillation process helps further my understanding & appreciation of single malt whisky - it doesn't mean that I'm moving to the hills and getting a fast car to outrun the revenooers.

I'm glad that there is recognition somewhere up the line that our discussions are in line with "the trend of breweries getting involved with distillation." As I'd pointed out previously, a lot of the creativity in the craft brewing industry can be traced to brewers who learned their craft at home and then went professional. Unfortunately, there's no legal way to mirror this in distillation. No legal way for brewers to become home distillers and experiment and develop their chops or try something new. That can and should be changed.

I firmly believe it's possible, no desirable, for us to bring the discussion of home distillation out of the shadows and start to lobby for it to become legal. I understand that there are those in the anti-liquor, neo-prohibitionist, right wing that will be appalled by any such efforts, not to mention that the big liquor lobbyists would be up in arms...... but the discussion has to start somewhere.
Mark Tumarkin
Hogtown Brewers
Gainesville, FL

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #52 on: October 18, 2010, 04:49:52 pm »
One of the shows I saw, featured a distillery that was very much like a micro brewry, restraunt. You go in for dinner, sample some different whiskeys, and have a nice night. I thought it was interesting that they used different types of caramel extracts to get the flovor and coloring that barrel aging creates. (hope that does not stray to far into the process)
 I also thought it was real cool the place, of which name I forget, is right here near me in Bosie, ID. Dude said it took about 2-3 years to really catch on, but now runs a thriving business. How great would it be to see such places spring up all over in the next few years?! Hopefully, laws will lax a bit. This whole deal about the government worrid about our safety is just a way to not have to admit it's all about money. Sure, maybe they would lose some tax dollars by legalizing it, but do you not think there would be a small offset in the tax dollars then spent on grain, equipment, ingridents, etc... Would be so nice to see it legalized.

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #53 on: October 18, 2010, 04:56:51 pm »
I don't necessarily agree with this line of thinking.

I think Denny' point is there are a lot of generalities about us as homebrewers. A lot of people think we are nothing but moonshiners. So, let's say someone with this ignorant mantality is lukrking this board. They see a thread about distillation, with procedures. This is only going to add fuel to their fire.
   I may be taking his post the wrong way, but I think this was the line of reasoning.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #54 on: October 18, 2010, 05:07:35 pm »
I firmly believe it's possible, no desirable, for us to bring the discussion of home distillation out of the shadows and start to lobby for it to become legal. I understand that there are those in the anti-liquor, neo-prohibitionist, right wing that will be appalled by any such efforts, not to mention that the big liquor lobbyists would be up in arms...... but the discussion has to start somewhere.
I totally agree with this point Mark, I just don't think this is the place for that type of discussion.  I'm sure there are distillation message boards that would fully support this type of conversation, but then of course there you're just preaching to the choir.  That's not really helpful, is it?   :)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline bonjour

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Troy, MI, 37mi, 60.9deg AR
« Reply #55 on: October 18, 2010, 05:09:19 pm »
At this time distilling is illegal. This board is supported by the AHA, We cannot support any illegal activity here. It is that simple.
Discussion of how to make it legal, that we can handle.  
Fred Bonjour
Co-Chair Mashing in Michigan 2014 AHA Conference in Grand Rapids, Michigan
AHA Governing Committee; AHA Conference, Club Support & Web Subcommittees

Everything under 1.100 is a 'session' beer ;)

Offline tumarkin

• Brewmaster
« Reply #56 on: October 18, 2010, 05:10:01 pm »

I may be taking his post the wrong way, but I think this was the line of reasoning.

I don't think you're taking his post the wrong way. I understand the line of reasoning. I just don't agree with it.
Mark Tumarkin
Hogtown Brewers
Gainesville, FL

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #57 on: October 18, 2010, 05:20:05 pm »
I don't necessarily agree with this line of thinking.

I think Denny' point is there are a lot of generalities about us as homebrewers. A lot of people think we are nothing but moonshiners. So, let's say someone with this ignorant mantality is lukrking this board. They see a thread about distillation, with procedures. This is only going to add fuel to their fire.

You are correct Weaz...This is exactly the reasoning behind the statement that Denny made.

I think we can all agree that we would like to see this process become legal on the "home" scale some day, and would like to to have discussions to the liking. However we do not intend to entertain discussions that stray from the legalities that confront us, more specifically "the distillation process".

Thanks for your cooperation.

Ron Price

Offline BrewArk

• Brewmaster
  • Rick - Newark, California
    • BrewArk
« Reply #58 on: October 18, 2010, 05:26:14 pm »
At this time distilling is illegal. This board is supported by the AHA, We cannot support any illegal activity here. It is that simple.
Discussion of how to make it legal, that we can handle.  

I've been homebrewing since the late '80s, and making mead and wine for a couple of years.  I've never really been interested in distilling myself.  

My sister & brother in-law have become partners in a boutique distillery: (here's the shameless plug) http://www.yeolgrogdistillery.com/ that will hopefully be at market soon.

It can be done legally, there's just huge barriers to entry.  Given the nature of the product and process, I'd agree that it should be made more difficult to produce than beer or wine.  If that makes me a right wing neoprohibitionist - well that label would get quite a few laughs from the people that know me.

Beer...Now there's a temporary solution!

Na ZdravĂ­

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Lat 40* 6 m. 2.24 s. Long -74* 51 m. 21.75 s.
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #59 on: October 18, 2010, 06:42:42 pm »
Slivovica?
Beer, its whats for dinner.

http://theholyravioli.blogspot.com/

http:// www.thecapo.us